We believe there always is a better way to grow. We positively provoke growth for our clients by reshaping consumer decision-making and experiences through media, content and technology. The Wavemaker way is globally consistent. Fueled by the world’s most powerful consumer data, we understand where and how marketing can intervene decisively to help brands win more sales.
Our name is our mission and our method. To make waves, you need to be provocative, even fearless. We do our best work for brave brands and people who want to be challenged to go further and faster. We know it’s not easy, but if it’s in you, we will get it out of you.
Our 7,600 people across 90 markets provoke growth for some of the world’s leading brands and businesses. Our attitude of Positive Provocation is enabled by:
- deep knowledge we have of our clients’ business
- confidence to challenge what’s gone before
- the support to go further than we thought possible
Your role in a nutshell:
The role of the Client & Communication is the key point of contact for our clients, and the development, execution and delivery of media plans, delivering on strategy on time and in full. C&C is the first point of contact for the client and the team at Wavemaker on all plan related queries.
The role of the Group Business Director has ultimate responsibility for the state of the agency's relationship and performance on assigned clients. They ensure that all recommendations drive our clients’ business whilst generating a strong commercial return.
Reporting of the role: This role reports to the Managing Director
Direct reports: C&C Director, C&C Manager, C&C Analyst
Key stakeholders: Internal WM & GroupM Departments:
Collaborate with I&A, Digital, C&P, SEO & CRO, SEM, Social and Strategy teams to manage expectations and deliver client objectives.
Establish strong relationships with our media partners at a Group Sales Manager level
Wavemaker C&C Team:
Contribute to great teamwork with a supportive and positive can-do attitude
- Constantly provides strong leadership & direction for your team to produce the best results for your clients which makes WM their most valued business partner
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of how to "manage" the client to provide relevant best case outcomes using agency resources efficiently
- Ensures that the team understands their roles within the agency and the team
- Provides formal feedback at key times to year which is documented with clear action plan
- Coach the team across the year with ongoing constructive feedback to improve performance
- Put forward training needs of team and order or priority
- Drives the creation of KPI's by the team
- Contributes consistently to the growth of the WM business in conjunction with the Management Team
- Demonstrate strong collaboration with your team and business partners
- A professional approach with all people you come to contact with, internal & external
- Builds deep and influential senior client relationships, leading the path to a strong valued agency relationship
- Leads the team to deliver against the client needs in a style which makes your client consider you their most valued business partner using the TRR benchmark
- A strong strategic view of the full client business - their big picture ambitions and challenges e.g. market share, purchase barriers, key competitors, drivers, tasks
- Provides clients with a well-informed POV at all times (across category, media and marketing etc)
- Ensures that our trading relations are at the level required to deliver the best possible trading position with our media owner partners (working with Head of Investment)
- Meets up with key partners and builds a senior relationship
- Ensures that we have a collaborative and working relationship with key partners (creative, research, digital, etc)
- The driver of maximising the use of the WM resource to answer clients’ needs
- Strong understanding of other GroupM and WPP resources that can help deliver success for your clients.
- Ensures that the agency’s output answers client’s business needs and is packaged accordingly
- The driver of maximising the use of the WM planning process across your clients
- The driver for best use of media planning principles (e.g. scheduling, flighting, recency, effective reach theories, seasonality, market prioritisation, roles of all communication channels)
- Oversees the delivery of media KPIs to ensure they are met and to contract for clients
- Can talk confidently and sell in all of WM/ GroupM products and tools (Momentum, Xaxis, etc) where relevant to their clients and know how to charge for them
- Develops new commercial opportunities for WM based on client needs
- Strong understanding of how to sell client benefits vs. agency jargon to ensure your teams idea is bought
- Provides client(s) with Thought Leadership relevant to their business throughout the year
- Represents what WM stands for in all their actions when representing work
- Strong profile amongst senior members of the client’s business, outside of just marketing
- Known in the industry and attends key publisher presentations and events
- Works with the WM international network where required, influencing our global and regional team’s agenda and ensuring that Australia is represented in the best light and our agenda/ needs are being considered
- Write award entries and case studies to showcase the work of the agency
- Contributes to trade press and events to grow profile amongst future clients
- Own and have 100% pride in all work that comes out of your team
- A positive face of Wavemaker at industry events, either related to client’s category or our media partners
- Inspire their team in everything they do
- Be a source of positive energy for your team, WM and the wider industry
- Runs their assigned client(s) and is responsible for revenue forecasts and anything tied to the overall profitability of the client
- Manages and updates accurate revenue forecast throughout the year – sharing relevant information with CEO & Commercial Director in monthly revenue forecast meetings
- Works with the Management Teamon client contract negotiations
- Ensures we are applying the right resources to clients’ business via a resource plan and scope of work (signed off by our Commercial Director and the client)
- Ensures team delivers hours to agreed SOW where possible and that any client related resource issues are understood and managed
- Ensures remuneration KPIs are met to contract (where applicable) for clients
- Spots new commercial opportunities across their client portfolio (based on client business needs) so that revenue grows in line with targets set and all diversified service revenue opportunities (i.e. SBU’s, Xaxis, Astus etc.) are maximised
- Help build on the agency's reputation for outstanding/ award winning work.
- Works on new business & contributes to award winning work
- Contributes and leads to new business pitches
- Seeks out opportunities for new client business through network
- Grows current client business into other areas including research, analytics, creative and experiential
What you will need:
- Min 10 years media agency experience.
- Experience in traditional and digital channels.
- Proven experience managing a large team, negotiating different situations, skillsets and personalities.
- Good at building & maintaining strong client relationships.
- A proven strategic thinker equally supported by the ability to develop clear, actionable consumer/industry insights.
- Strong experience and understanding of the media industry and all channels within it.
- Strong presentation& negotiation skills.
- Experience in using industry tools Roy Morgan, MOVE, Adex, Move, SMI, BMD, Etametc.
- Literate articulate and numerate / Clear and concise communication skills.
What success looks like:
The easiest and simplest way to see if you have done a great job is when:
In 3 months, you would have:
- Developed a strong understanding of your client portfolio including their brands, category, key business challenges and develop media strategies to align with key client business targets.
- Established a clear relationship with all senior clients, proactively engaging with their business and established yourself as the team leader.
- Understanding of the Wavemaker business and key product offerings.
In 6 months, you would have:
- Proactively delivered additional value to the client, leading the team to successfully implement new ideas that will improve client’s business outcomes.
- Identified commercial growth opportunities within existing client portfolio and developed mechanisms to support these and present concepts to the client.
- Understanding of strengths/opportunities of all team members and have developed a performance review programs and career path for them.
- Established as the lead by both clients and the internal team alike; strong client service ways of working established with strong team communication.
In 12 months, you would have:
- Considered a ‘business’ leader for the client and for Wavemaker, providing solutions that deliver a tangible business benefit for both client and agency.
- Activating a business plans that deliver success to the client and secures Wavemaker client relationship; leading client, product, people, commercial and profile initiatives.
- Have actively supported team members in delivering against goals and provided regular feedback and 3 monthly check-ins.