MediaCom is an agency of GroupM, the world’s largest media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. We are currently looking for a Group Digital Director to join us. At GroupM APAC, our people are our strength, which is why fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion is important to us.
Purpose of Position
Marketplace is the engine room of MediaCom, it’s where the rubber hits the road. The digital Marketplace team is responsible for leading the digital activation and investment function across all areas of their client portfolio.
The Group Digital Director is ultimately responsible for the workflow, talent development and quality control in their group. You lead the team that brings to life Connected Execution plans, develop exciting partnerships built on your relationships with the media, and deliver value for our clients.
Futureproofed, you operate in a system powered by data, technology and automation that is built around best in class products and processes.
With extensive digital media planning and investment experience, either at agency or sales side, you will have the ability to craft broad reaching investment strategies and drive a culture of investment excellence resulting in positive results for our clients, our media partners and MediaCom’s commercial objectives.
As a Group Digital Director, you are to assist the Head of Digital for the overall delivery of high quality Investment plans, ensuring your team of talented Investment planners are using data, technology and tools to deliver best in class media systems.
This is a critical role for MediaCom and as such you will drive the integration of the marketplace teams into other functions of the agency, find entrepreneurial opportunities to grow the investment capabilities within the agency & advocating it within the agency and client’s business.
- Client Partner
- Media Owner Sales Directors, National Sales Directors & GSMs
- Relevant tech and data providers
- Senior Clients
- Head of Marketplace
- Heads of Department (MBA, Business Science, Automation)
- First class implementation
- Oversee best in class media plans, ensuring on time delivery and quality control ensuring you manage any bumps in the road.
- Ability to lead and translate a strategy/channel recommendation into a business results focused Implementation Plan.
- Collaborative and motivated team player
- Always collaborative with all members across all departments within the agency.
- Developing younger talent, though informal mentoring and coaching.
- Understanding of the trading market
- Understanding and educating the agency on all media channels, with the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each channel and the impact these have in delivering on the client objectives.
- Great negotiator
- Complete understanding of the macro trends in the marketplace with regards to revenue, supply, Innovation and development.
- Able to apply these trends to both our business and our client’s business.
- Highly numerate with first class negotiation skills. Be able to construct negotiation strategies to deliver on clients’ objectives.
- Able to lead negotiations, understand approach and manage clients and media appropriately.
- Personal and professional
- Solid operator with ability to connect with your team, of all departments and levels.
- Leveraging the wider agency
- Don’t limit your thinking to the immediate client group. Use broader sectors, share knowledge from other groups.
- Key contributor to Marketplace product, meetings and WIPs.
- Clear communicator
- Ability to convey your point of view and get buy in from team members and clients alike.
- Articulate a point of view/opinion on trends/developments in the marketplace.
- Results Driven
- Passionate about delivering business results for clients, with the ability to identify and clearly articulate what’s working and why, linking media performance to business goals.
On any given day, you might:
- Ensures that the MP team understand their role and responsibilities and sets clear direction for all team members.
- Ensure they and their team live and breathe the MediaCom values.
- Coaches & mentors all team members regularly to deliver their work to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Leads career development of team, able to set goals that will develop our people and develop our business.
- Intrinsic understanding of the investment implementation process, leading developments and find efficiencies.
- Ensure and oversees workflow and resource allocation in the group is managed.
- Manage team holiday/sick leave/Summer Friday approval.
- Works hand in hand with Client Lead across all disciplines throughout the campaign development process ensuring they deliver work in a timely manner.
- Take steps to reduce recruitment spend in your team & improve retention by ensuring internal team members have created PDPs with their line manager.
- Creates team/Group OGSM's including specific actions surrounding award participation & involvement in industry events to support talent growth & build agency profile.
- Holds regular performance reviews across the year to ensure standards and talent development.
- Directors (Monthly) and Mangers, Executives and Assistants when required.
- Ensures training and development is available and implemented for the managers, executives and assistants in the group.
- Ensures that all members of their team are motivated and receive credit and reward where appropriate.
- Completion of Annual PDP’s within given time frame.
- Develop strong media and platform partner relationships – not just with sales teams but also across content, technology and revenue departments.
- Engage with our media partners to ensure you and your team remains on the front foot with latest intel, content and innovation in the markets across all media touchpoints.
- Provide insightful, detailed and timely briefs and feedback to our media partners.
- Establish strong understanding of client challenges, objectives & initiatives and develop client relationships.
- Seek out reformist ways to keep clients informed on relevant developments and changes in media landscape and media partners informed on client priorities & partnership opportunities.
- Collaborate with all external key stakeholders regularly.
- Call on your relationships with external partners to unlock the best opportunities to solve a client's business problems.
- Has a thorough knowledge and understanding of Systems Planner and the roles and responsibilities at each stage.
- Ensures they and their team apply SP according to the unique requirements of each brief.
- Ensures they and their team are using all Marketplace endorsed media planning/reporting tools and GroupM Knowledge tools, interpreting relevant data sources to build insights that lead to optimized channel thinking (e.g. GroupM Knowledge, EMMA, Roy Morgan, Nielsen).
- Ensures they deliver BIC documents/presentations 100% of the time (including optimised channel documents, media schedules and PCA decks).
- Leads team compliance.
- Leads innovation and instills in team that it is present in all recommendations
- Leads quality control on all outputs from the team including; media owner briefs, channel presentations, media plans, PCAs, deal tracking and monthly forecasting.
- Ensures that GroupM priorities are aligned to MediaCom Investment strategies and are leveraged to the benefit of the client (including rates, media firsts, beta test and learns).
- Leads negotiation strategies, in line with client’s overall investment strategy.
- Leads team and clients through ongoing micro and macro economic trend presentations and POV’s to clients.
- Is the senior trusted advisor to clients and helps build teams client relationships.
- Understands the client category intrinsically and can translate insights into media outcomes.
- Leads by example on how to responds to clients and media owners in a timely manner consistently managing expectations.
- Leads MP related strategy to increase/maintain client TRR/appraisal scores.
- Ensures team are clear on WIP meetings with well supported perspectives and recommendations on all issues.
- Always has a well-informed POV in every meeting and coaches Manager in building their POV.
- Leads all forecasts for team and in a timely manner.
- Leads delivery of all contractual and commercial requirements (e.g. bonus-malus and financial penalties) and managed appropriately.
- Understands and adheres to the GroupM compliance/SOX/audit process, with the process implemented 100% of the time across all clients.
- Tracks and monitors client billing forecasts on monthly basis.
- Lead delivery of local and global audit requirements.
- Ensures team’s timesheets are completed in a timely manner.
- Identify areas of increased commercial opportunity with key media owners.
- Ensure your team are across and actions all aged debt, account queries and audits.
- Hold responsibility for delivery against GM preferred partner deals, including GM proprietary products Xaxis, plista etc.
- Own the timesheet v FTE analysis.
- Support / lead any component on any new business responsibilities.
What makes a good Group Digital Director?
- Is a media planning and buying expert, able to utilise all tools and confidently train and develop others.
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills applicable to media proposal assessment, evaluation and negotiation.
- Sound knowledge and experience on how to react to various and adverse occurrences throughout the general operation of the team.
- Is a proven leader and can inspire and motivate the immediate and broader team.
- Has established fluent senior relationships and utilises these to get the best outcomes for clients and the agency.
- Always planning ahead in addition to ongoing day to day operations.
- Leads MediaCom behavioral pillars into the day to day functioning of the team.
- Always persuasively present and articulate to external stakeholders the functions and principles critical to the MediaCom Marketplace agenda.
- Extensive experience in media planning and truly understanding the relationship between channels.
- In-depth knowledge of digital media channels and tools.
- Highly level of energy that helps cultivate a positive social and high performing culture.
- Can adapt knowledge to solve business problems.
- A leader rather than manager, with the ability to switch between the two depending on the situation.
- Experience in people management with an understanding of what drives retention and a success through others mentality.
- Collaborative and astute - able to build trust and respect within a network.
- High emotional intelligence and awareness and therefore able to manage self and others in a constructive manner.
- Motivates your team to deliver the best for the client.
- Exceptional, up to date, media landscape knowledge.
- Highly skilled communicator.
- First class negotiation skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the patience to examine the detail and create solutions.
- Strong ability to build relationships with key stakeholders – client, client team, SBUs.
- Commercial awareness.
- The ability to identify revenue driving opportunities for MediaCom.