Overview of job
MediaCom is an agency of GroupM, the world’s largest media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. We are currently looking for a Strategy Director to join us.
At GroupM APAC, our people are our strength, which is why fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion is important to us.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to: Client Partner
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The traditional approach doesn’t cut it for our Strategy and Planning team. We relentlessly seek to uncover a whole host of insights from culture, the economy, people, behavior and connections, and combine this with great platform and touchpoint understanding to both inspire custom media strategies. Our focus sits firmly within evidence based planning that translates to real business outcomes. A sound theoretical understanding of established marketing dogma, such as the EBI’s Laws of Growth is also paramount.
Data is the driver. Delivering creativity is the goal. Our simple philosophy (Putting the “why” back in the business) keeps us grounded to make sure all strategic direction is clear and actionable.
The role aims to be both consultative, offering higher end, ‘up-stream’ strategic thinking to clients, as well as more ‘downstream’, predominantly reach-based channel planning, connecting deeply with the investment and content teams.
You will also be conversant and have an expert understanding of MediaCom’s 20|20 ‘system-led’ planning framework and its application to strategic thinking.
The ideal candidate knows how to covert analysis into real world solutions and have innovation in their blood. They simplify complexity to bring clarity of thought.
ON ANY GIVEN DAY, YOU MIGHT
- Conduct market research on media consumption patterns for different markets and audiences.
- Take high-level communications tasks and identify how a brand should behave in different cultural spaces
- Concept and develop culturally-relevant connection ideas that live in media environments
- Work with junior talent in the organization to help teach, nurture and grow
- Write go-to-market strategies for the launch of communication campaigns utilizing a variety of channels, targeting tactics, partners, and data providers
- Build out a connections framework for a category across all levels of a decision journey
- Mine client and consumer data in collaboration with Business Science to uncover insights and inform decision-making
- Prepare and deliver presentations to clients with your media findings and recommendations
- Educate clients and internal stakeholders on media innovation trends and potential
- Drive the strategic direction for a new business pitch
THE IDEAL PERSON
- A motivated and passionate media professional that strives to understand “why”
- Able to get things done, knows how to organize yourself and others
- Can strike up conversation with the clients and media and talk the talk
- Knows how to turn data and insights into a story
- Can see communications trends and solutions clearly
- Understand how tools and technology can help tell a story
- Keeps ahead of the industry news, knows what’s new and shiny in market
- A trusted advisor that can quickly understand the client’s business needs and develop a solution
- Loves to actively share POV on market and industry, both educating our clients and building trust
- You are a highly skilled communicator, that knows how to simplify the complicated media world and structure of an agency
- Is seen as a pivotal thought leader by clients when it comes to trading, contracts, vendors and delivering
- Numbers are a second language to you and you can translate between both fast, accurately and effectively.
- Previous experience in a strategy and/or planning function
- The ability to work with data to develop insights and recommendations for clients
- A collaborative attitude and approach to solving problems
- A mastery of your strategic capability, and a basic understanding across other forms of strategy, including, but not limited to: Brand strategy, communications strategy, digital & media strategy
- A constant curiosity to challenge the status-quo
More about MediaCom
MediaCom helps brands unlock growth through media. We do this by applying our unique Systems Thinking approach to data, technology and creativity to design communication strategies that build brands and generate sales.
As part of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm, we have access to the richest data sets and most robust benchmarks in the business, enabling us to identify the best avenues for growth and unlock the potential in every brand.
Our success is underpinned by our long-standing belief that if we invest in our people, we’ll deliver better results not only for our teams but also for our clients. “People First, Better Results” means that we invest in our people’s careers and capabilities to help grow our clients’ businesses.
In 2018, this approach led MediaCom to become the first network to hold all six major Media Network of the Year titles concurrently: Adweek, Campaign, Cannes Lions, Festival of Media Global, M&M Global and WARC Media 100. The agency retained the WARC Media 100 title in 2019, also winning Agency of the Year (MediaCom Israel) and Campaign of the Year (Gillette – I Don’t Roll on Shabbos, MediaCom Connections Israel).
MediaCom is one of the world’s leading media communications specialists, with billings of US$13.5 billion (Source: COMvergence, March 2019), employing 8,000 people in 125 offices across 100 countries. Its global client roster includes adidas, Coca-Cola (TCCC), Dell, Mars, NBC Universal, P&G, PSA, Richemont, Shell and Sony.
For more information, visit www.mediacom.com
Find us on Twitter @mediacomglobal
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/MediaComGlobalNews
Join us on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/Mediacom
GroupM Australia takes pride in being a group built on a set of core values that extend to every aspect of our operation. We are committed to providing an empowering workplace that offers opportunities to learn, succeed and grow. We do this through our dedicated in-house training team who tailor our programs for every level of employee in every discipline across the group. GroupM is the largest media investment management company in Australia with 30% market share and over 800 employees. With such a unique culture, GroupM embraces workplace diversity, allowing our employees to bring different ideas and solutions to the workplace.