Overview of job
GroupM is the leading global media investment management operation. It serves as the parent company to WPPAUNZ media agencies MediaCom, Wavemaker, and Mindshare (as well as Xaxis, Essence & Finecast)
The focus of GroupM is the intelligent application of physical and intellectual scale to benefit trading, innovation, and new communication services, to bring unfair competitive advantage to our clients and our companies.
As the head of digital investment & partnerships, you will lead the group’s digital investment strategy across key partners to:
- Create strategies to deliver the best value extraction for our clients
- Unlock innovative and scalable media partnerships
- Create unique supply strategies and inventory pools for proprietary media products, taking direction from the pM Digital Product team and programmatic businesses to identify valuable ‘market’ data partnerships across multiple media platforms and channels
You will be accountable for ensuring the implementation and delivery of digital investment deals at a group level as well as working with each agency to deliver each client’s business objectives, providing digital marketing expertise.
You will be accountable for ensuring all vendor deals are delivered through an open, honest, transparent and solution focused manner.
In addition to the successful implementation of digital investment, you will also spend time working with external bodies (e.g. MFA)and trade press to ensure GroupM clients are represented within the wider media community
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the GroupM head of investment/CIO
3 best things about the job:
- Working within the investment group of the biggest media agency company in Australia to lead first in market trading models across all digital channels that provide continuous value for both clients and agencies.
- A highly visible digital media leader within Australia’s largest holding group – working alongside the GroupM Head of Investment to be accountable for the performance and commercial success of the group.
- Working alongside GroupM digital leaders to shape the future digital landscape.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with agency and client to understand business needs and define enhancements from key media owner to create solutions to drive unique client outcomes
- Working with the GroupM head of investment/CIO and the chief technology and transformation officer to create partnership frameworks with the key media owners (global & local) within the Australian digital landscape
- Maintain close relationships with key partners, meeting regularly to review performance, opportunities, and clear blockers
- Track and monitor key partnerships, ensuring GroupM agencies & media partners deliver promises and commitments
- Work with regional and global teams to input and deliver any global partnerships. In addition, ensure that all regional and global reporting requests are facilitated in a timely manner
- Ensure GroupM clients and agencies utilizing and maximising value extraction from the partnerships
- Create new & innovative trading currencies (e.g. viewability) to give GroupM clients an unfair advantage
- Partner with agencies to provide training for adoption of digital standards and best practices pertaining to digital planning and media owner engagement
- Develop and manage project plans, roadmaps, and milestones as applicable, working with the Finecast, Xaxis, PBU, and agency teams to identify new approached to digital planning and investment that deliver commercial upside (including programmatic digital OOH and audio)
- Work with GroupM head of investment to provide points of view and thought leadership regarding industry news or updates relevant to client and agency to address client needs and interests
- Work with agencies on new business process and digital pricing exercises to ensure GroupM deliver best in class digital trading position
- Assist the GroupM digital product team in getting access to data opportunities to fuel GroupM’s data proposition/spine with key media partners
Your experience and background to be successful:
- Extensive (10+ years) industry knowledge in total digital marketing and data partnership strategies, having demonstrated a leadership position in previous roles
- Experience in marketing strategy related to media and/or customer journey development, including budgeting, revenue forecasting, ROI development
- Solution development: analytic skills, critical thinking and clarifying strategic & operational issues as relates to marketing/ad technology and data. Problem-solving skills to drive issues to resolution
- Effective writing and presenting skills delivered to senior level clients
- Proven expertise to lead staff and to build and manage relationships effectively in a matrix organization
- Experience working in an agency environment and knowledge of the agency media campaign planning and execution process
- Experience in successfully managing projects from end-to-end, on time and within budget, communicating to key stakeholders throughout
- Proven effectiveness in media owner relationships
- Knowledge and experience in marketing technology, programmatic platforms, ad serving systems, and web analytics tools