Overview of job
As an important member of the in-house tax team, you will be integral to the delivery of a full range of tax services (compliance and consulting) to the various businesses and back office functions of the group covering the income tax, GST and employment taxes of the various jurisdictions in which the group conducts business operations (but principally Australia).
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Group Tax Manager.
3 best things about the job:
- An opportunity to work in an industry that is constantly changing and facing head-on the challenges and opportunities created by the digital economy.
- You will be a member of a highly collegiate and collaborate team working within a friendly and supportive culture.
- Exposure to a broad range of tax matters that will expand your professional knowledge and experience.
Measures of success:
In 3 months:
- Assimilate into an established team and know your way around the organisation.
- Play an active role in the year end statutory tax reporting cycle.
In 6 months:
- Primary responsibility for handling the various tax consulting and compliance needs of some of the group’s clusters.
- Able to work seamlessly with the group’s various head office functions (e.g. finance, legal, treasury and shared services).
In 12 months:
- Solid commercial experience and industry specific knowledge.
- Full exposure to the commercial tax reporting cycle.
- Well regarded member of the in-house tax team.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Assist in the preparation of Board packs describing the tax profile and risks of the group.
- Assist in the preparation of tax papers covering the group’s M&A transactions.
- Assist in the preparation of the six-monthly calculations of the statutory tax amounts included in the group’s financial statements.
- Assist in the periodic updating of the group’s effective tax rate calculation.
- Assist in the identification and mitigation of relevant tax risks.
- Assist in providing advice to the business units in response to their queries concerning income tax, GST and employments taxes.
- Assist in the continuous process improvement by developing or implementing best practices.
- Assist in the handling of any audits and reviews of the group by a revenue authority.
- Assist in the preparation of all tax working papers and reasonably arguable position papers.
- Building of relationships with key people in the group’s various businesses and back office departments.
- Assist in the team’s interactions with external advisers and revenue authorities.
- Assisting, where required, in providing support in other related aspects of commercial and operational activities and other ad hoc tasks.
What you will need:
- Would suit a first-time mover from a professional services firm with at least 5 years’ experience.
- Solid tax accounting knowledge and experience and proven record in the preparation of Australian tax returns and associated schedules.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with CCH’s tax integrator software package.
- Able to manage competing priorities and solving problems.
- A well-developed client service ethos.
- The ability to develop mature inter-personal relationships.
- Self-starter with a strong desire to learn (keeping abreast of tax developments as they occur).
- Aptitude for the ‘big picture’ and with an eye for the detail.
- Masters degree in taxation would be well regarded.
- Indirect tax experience would be looked upon favourably.
- Solid excel skills – pivot tables/ vlookups.
About WPP AUNZ
WPP AUNZ (ASX: WPP) is Australasia’s leading marketing communications group, comprising 5,500 people working in 80 agencies in 170 offices across Australia and New Zealand. Through its operating companies, the Group provides a comprehensive range of advertising and marketing services including advertising & media investment management; data investment management; public relations & public affairs; branding & identity; healthcare communications; direct, digital, promotion & relationship marketing and specialist communications.
For more information visit www.wppaunz.com or follow us @WPP_AUNZ