World Surf League is looking for a Payroll & Benefits professional to join the People team. This new team member will have a heavy focus on payroll administration and assist in general projects for the People team. The right candidate for this position will be an individual who has a natural intellectual curiosity, detail-oriented, strong listening and communication skills, technology-focused, strong analytical skills, adept in learning, is comfortable in a ''hands-on role'' and working independently. Also has the desire to drive improvements and continuously simplify processes.
- Process multiple payrolls, bi-weekly & semi-monthly for 175 + exempt & non-exempt employees (multi-state).
- Ensure internal controls are met for payroll processing, including accurate and timely payroll, mandatory payroll tax obligations met, correct statutory and supplemental benefits, etc.
- Manage payroll taxes and taxability of wages. Including assisting with year-end reporting, W2 reviews, amendments, registering with States and municipalities for new payroll taxes, addressing & researching payroll tax notices & or payroll tax discrepancies.
- Conduct regular payroll audits and reconciliations to ensure the integrity of the payroll database
- Assist with HR compliance: I-9 and E-Verify, FMLA and Leave of Absences.
- Complete the processing of onboarding new hires & off-boarding employees from payroll system, processing final payments.
- Coordinate with People team to ensure that all employee changes, including pay changes and deductions are reflected correctly in the payroll and HRIS.
- Remain up to date on local & international employment legislation/ compliance and recommended best practices.
- Process life event changes and termination of coverage in ADP benefits module.
- Manage payroll invoicing, to ensure accurate reconciliation of billing.
- Respond to all employment verifications requests (written and verbal) in a timely manner.
- Manage background checks & unemployment claims.
- Assist with the day-to-day administrative aspects of benefits & support benefit projects.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date personnel files, records, documentation and HRIS.
- Provide additional support to the People team in any other areas of People as needed.
- Support the implementation and operationalization of company policies and procedures.
- A minimum of three years of payroll and benefits experience. Must have at least 3+ years of owning payroll processing experience from beginning to end, with multi state in-house payroll and knowledge of US individual tax laws/regulations. Strong knowledge of ADP Workforce Now.
- Experience with ADP benefits module, HCM, Timekeeping, and ADP SmartCompliance.
- 2+ years of HR & related experience in meeting fast paced employee-based needs.
- Foundational understanding of HR metrics, analytics & reporting.
- Think analytically and can effectively apply logic to solve complex problems in a fast-paced environment, while exercising best practice. Work independently and efficiently under pressure to meet deadlines timely.
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented, strong focus on data accuracy, high sense of urgency, and a strong work ethic.
- Strong customer orientation with excellent verbal and written communication skills to partner and build collaborative working relationships. Including ability to articulate complex messages and requirements. Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Understanding of the intersection of compensation, benefits, perks and other offerings (e.g., LOA, paid time off) as part of a Total Rewards package.
- Broad based HR knowledge and awareness of laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or G Suite (preferred), high proficiency in excel & Gmail for business operations.
- Must be willing to work Monday - Friday from WSL Headquarters located in Santa Monica, California.
- Professional and approachable work style with a focus on delivering excellence in execution of all responsibilities.
- Extremely flexible, able to balance and easily shift priorities, high ethical and professional ability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines, ability to work as part of a team.
- Above all, integrity, and honesty.
- Resourceful, can comfortably & effectively lean in on their work experience to overcome difficult situations.
- Strong problem-solving skills including ability to proactively anticipate requirements and identify/mitigate potential issues before they occur.