The Product Designer plays an integral role on our digital products team and reports directly into the Chief Technology Officer. This role is the voice of our fans and it will be up to this individual to lead the product team to ensure they are always meeting our user’s expectations and desires. The Designer will be developing solutions across our digital platform. Supporting the needs of our loyal fans, our surfers and the tools and processes we’ve developed to produce and broadcast compelling surf competitions from remote corners of the world.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Be the voice of the fan. Collaborate with product managers, team leadership and engineering to ensure we’re shipping quality experiences that represent the inspirational power of surfing.
- Lead by design. Define problems and goals, conduct user research, come up with customer profiles, create user journeys, produce lo-hi fidelity designs and prototypes.
- Collaborate across teams. Consider the product needs of our content teams, marketing and the fan experience.
- Inspire the team. Influence the company culture to understand why design is important and why the details matter.
- Possess an appetite to solve challenges that span beyond the digital space.
- Discover user needs through research and data.
- Create compelling user experiences across mobile apps, tv apps and web.
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant experience
- Must be able to prioritize tasks effectively
- Detailed knowledge of workflow within a digital products organization
- Ability to turn detailed requirements into designs that creatively solve problems
- Expert organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, monitor, and manage workload
- Proven experience shipping products or features where you’ve managed the design process, defined tasks and ensured design requirements are achieved.
- Excellent communication skills, as you’ll be expected to plan and lead discussions with product managers, engineers and other teams within the World Surf League.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping tools like Sketch, InVision, Figma
- Cross-platform design experience (native, mobile, web & connected tv’s).
- An understanding of technical constraints across platforms.
- A passion for designing and using digital products. Got a favorite app? We want to hear about it.
- Conducted research, synthesized findings and executed on the feedback.
- An understanding that tone and voice is important, experience working on product copy is a plus.
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Passionate about content
- Self-motivated with an exceptional work ethic
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- Incredibly organized and capable of juggling multiple projects simultaneously
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced corporate environment
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.