Works under the supervision of the Surf Ranch Director of Hospitality and Chef’s.
The prep cook is responsible for assisting the culinary team on the preparation of menu items, receiving deliveries, cleaning, and supporting the culinary department as requested by Chefs, Hospitality management, and people leaders. This role is seasonal and temporary in nature (ending late 2021).
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen facilities meeting company standards and health code regulations
- Prepare food/maintain facility in accordance with company and health code regulations
- Execute recipes and prep accurately and in timely manner
- Menu and recipe knowledge including allergens and prep methods
- Stay up to date on company email correspondence regarding guest days and menu planning
- Assist with dishes and cleaning kitchen
- Organize and put away food deliveries
- Complete inventory as requested
- Knows and complies consistently with standard portion sizes,cooking methods, quality standards, policies and procedures.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, ovens, and refrigeration equipment.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handles, stores and rotates all products properly utilizing FIFO and food date labeling
- Disposes of trash/recycling/grease properly
- Avoids waste, spoilage or mistakes in preparation of food
- Refrains from making or serving food not on the menu and/or not specifically requested from people leader for guest service
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of food preparation and handling
- 1+ years of previous experience serving as Cook in a professional kitchen operation
- Basic knife skills, portioning, grilling and proper food labeling and storage.
- Following recipes and prep methods as directed.
- Food Safety Manager Certification and/or CA Food Handler Permit
- Experience in hospitality services environment
- Knowledge of guest menu requests and ability to work around allergy or dietary restrictions
- Exceptional work ethic
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
- Must be physically able to chop and prepare produce, wipe down surfaces, reach, twist, bend and be able to pick up debris from floor or items from storage spaces; able to carry 25 or more pounds.
- Ability to work and maneuver in small or confined spaces, such as cupboards, refrigerators, and food storage areas.