Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer the Director, Global Insights and Analytics at the World Surf League (WSL) will play a vital role and will serve as a key member of the Global Marketing team. This strategic and commercially-minded executive will develop strategy to further the overall WSL business plan, leveraging insight and data across all marketing and revenue programs and platforms. This will include identifying all key growth opportunities for the business, defining fan / audience segments and profiles, acquisition of new fans / audiences, increasing avidity and consumption among existing audiences and mapping audience to revenue.
- Understand and articulate the voice of the consumer across all business decision-making. Provide actionable insights grounded in consumer knowledge and guided by a broader understanding of business context to drive growth strategies across all marketing and revenue-driving assets and initiatives - including content, distribution, social, digital and media-buying, database, app, talent, events and more.
- Understand and communicate key value-drivers for the global business across brand, fandom, perception and consumption pillars. Establish ongoing rigorous processes for tracking and reporting metrics, analytics, and insights to drive those pillars for both marketing and revenue.
- Execute and manage qualitative and quantitative consumer research, as well as synthesize syndicated and owned analytics to identify and optimize target audiences. Create audience demos / profiles and gain competitive insights to effectively communicate those audiences to internal and external stakeholders. Special attention to key WSL territories -inc. US, Australia, Brazil, and Europe.
- Leverage insights to continuously identify, assess, and prioritize opportunities and campaigns; test new channels and partnerships to expand our brand reach and relevance to new, untapped audiences via clear, data-driven strategy and decision-making.
- Develop content marketing and distribution strategy to ensure content team achieves traffic goals. Understand current audience behaviors and identify specialized and specific content best practices and recommendations for each distribution platform.
- Within the content strategy, work with the Social and Editorial teams to develop a robust Social/Editorial strategy to target and engage prospects at the top of the funnel and continue to nurture and convert them into subscribers/fans.
- Strong integration with commercial team to support valuation and ROI-based decision-making and executions.
- Support building a high-performing, cross-functional team culture where discovery and exploration of new ideas are viewed as vital to the success of the enterprise
- Build and utilize relationships in the consumer insights and analytics industry - drawing on those to establish the most effective and efficient external partners / agencies to understand consumers.
- Understand key business challenges, drawing insights from on-platform and off-platform data and research, to drive informed problem-solving and decision-making.
- Integrate the focus and awareness to the WSL & KSWC’s commitment to sustainability and environmental causes into experiences.
- 7-10+ years of growing and engaging audiences for media, sports companies and/or brands
- Proven track record of increasing audience growth in a digital consumer marketing role
- Deep understanding of the sport and entertainment landscape
- Strategic thought-leader and problem-solver, able to see the big picture and propose innovative solutions to complex growth and marketing challenges.
- Insight-driven storyteller, able to confidently and concisely articulate market insights, growth goals, and progress against those goals, calling on key data and analyses to illustrate and evidence that narrative.
- Experience working with Big Data
- Deep knowledge of functionality and sense of audience behaviors and successful content strategies on YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, live streaming services
- Strong command of SQL and relational databases
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Big Query, YouTube Analytics, Facebook Insights and other digital analytics platforms
- Digital audience growth and UI / UX optimization experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, with significant expertise in Excel
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best business practices in mind
- An exceptional work ethic
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Masterful organizational skills
- An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching and the development of people
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V