We are currently seeking a Part-Time Surf Guide to commence work in late January 2021. Surf Guides play an integral role in guest safety and guest experience both in and out of the water at Surf Ranch. Under the direct supervision of the Surf Guide Manager, the Surf Guide will perform various duties at the Surf Ranch facility. This includes, but is not limited to, facilitating guest surfing, enforcing rules, and providing quality guest service. The Surf Guide will work directly with guests to provide them with the best possible surfing experience during their time at Surf Ranch. The Surf Guide must have a thorough understanding of all ‘wave system’ operations including a working knowledge of the Surf Ranch Wave, as well as lifeguard duties as they pertain to emergency communication and response.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Instruct, advise, and assist guests with all surfing operations.
- Provide in water surf coaching in a manner consistent with the company’s surf coach program.
- Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of visitors.
- Provide video analysis and coaching during feedback sessions following surfing activities in a manner consistent with the company’s coaching program.
- Maintain all surfing equipment such as boards, fins, leashes etc.
- Assist lifeguards in emergency medical aid and water response.
- Maintain training requirements.
- Provide clean locker room including guest names on lockers in accordance with fourth interaction of the guest service trail.
- Maintain cleanliness and general upkeep of Surf Ranch facilities including the board room.
- Ensure all activities & operations are conducted in accordance with established procedures & policies.
- Enforce rules, safety regulations, and general facility rules.
- Understand the ‘Surf Ranch Water Safety & Rescue Operations’.
- Understand the ‘Surf Ranch Wave System Theory of Operations’.
- Knowledge of surf instruction that can be applied to all skill levels, fully incorporating the company’s surf guide training program
- Strong communication skills to communicate to staff during emergency response via hand signals and other communication protocols
- 10+ years of surfing experience
- Surf Ranch specific water safety training
- CPR/AED & First Aid Certified preferred
- Previous surf lesson experience preferred
- Excited and enthusiastic outlook on work as it pertains to guests and Surf Ranch
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Integrity and honesty
- Physically able to swim, swim in rough and deep water, walk, run, walk or run over rough or uneven surfaces, bend, stoop, lift, push, pull, and carry loads.
- Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes.
- Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety.
- Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.