We are currently seeking a Full-Time Chef de Cuisine to work at our Lemoore, CA, Surf Ranch location
The Chef De Cuisine is responsible for providing Surf Ranch guests excellent food quality, consistency, in an attractive environment, and with professional service. Reporting to the Director of Hospitality, managing the culinary functions to meet the food quality goals, meeting the company's financial goals, culinary facilities maintenance, and personnel development objectives. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Training employees to maintain the Director of Hospitality and Culinary program standards. Planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; providing employees with feedback and accountability; addressing complaints and resolving problems. They also must adhere to all food safety and sanitation regulations.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Purchasing food/supplies from vendors approved by the company and monitor inventory
- Identify vendors and source products for menus
- Develop menus and item pricing
- Ensure that the kitchen and surrounding areas are sanitized and clean in accordance with company standards and health code regulations
- Prepare food/maintain facility in accordance with company and health code regulations
- Hire, train, and supervise kitchen personnel, including the Food & Beverage Ops team
- Stay current on restaurant industry trends
- Identify new culinary techniques and presentations
- Assist kitchen staff with food prep and recipe creation
- Ensure quality meals and interact with guests on a regular basis, including tableside service for meals with guests
- Assist the Director of Hospitality in providing consistent quality and presentation of all food to the guests.
- Assist the Director of Hospitality in monitoring, training and coaching the culinary team
- Writing staff schedules per budget and service needs
- Executing, monitoring and submitting kitchen orders and maintaining inventory.
- On going training and communicating to the staff to maintain standards.
- Execute menu and creation of new dishes per Director of Hospitality and Culinary directives.
- Produce food on a timely basis and ensure that servers are well educated regarding the menu.
- Participate in service education through daily pre shift, weekly menu meetings, and ongoing training programs.
- Ensure the culinary staff produce meals promptly in accordance with Surf Ranch standards for taste & presentation.
- Assist the Director of Hospitality in meeting the financial targets while achieving the food quality and service objectives. If there are structural reasons that the financial goals cannot be met without sacrificing food quality of service, the problems need to be promptly brought to the attention of the Director of Hospitality.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen facilities.
- Supervising the daily cleaning of the pantry, kitchen, dish area, walk-in and any other food storage and prep areas. .
- Assist in filling any open positions with qualified internal or external candidates.
- Consistently working all meal periods and menus on a weekly basis.
- Communicate with the culinary staff and hold accountable for upholding culinary program standards.
- Responsible for finding qualified candidates that understand the standards required of them when a position opens.
- Documenting staff behavior that does not meet the standards or quality of Surf Ranch
- Attend operational meetings as requested.
- 5+ years of previous experience serving as Chef, Cook or Sous Chef in kitchen operation
- Degree in Culinary Arts preferred
- Food Safety Manager Certification and/or CA Food Handler Permit
- Experience with ordering systems and delivery logistics
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in verbal and written English with guests, management, and co-workers to their understanding.
- Prioritize and organize work assignments, have timely follow up and execution.
- Have superb time management skills.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all services/features and hours of operation.
- Other language, mathematical, and reasoning abilities as outlined below.
- Ability to comply with physical demands as outlined below.
- Knowledge and understanding of Surf Ranch and WSL culture & initiatives
- Technologically sound with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule.
- Exceptional work ethic
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- Strong team player
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
- Must be physically able to chop and prepare produce, wipe down surfaces, reach, twist, bend and be able to pick up debris from floor or items from storage spaces.
- Lift/carry 25 lbs (frequently) and 50 lbs (occasionally)
- Use dominant hand coordination for simple grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation.
- May be exposed to extreme temperatures, dust, dampness, height, and moving machinery.