The Part-Time Boat Mate/Deck Hand's primary responsibility is to provide guests with proper equipment and instruction of watersports while insuring the guest safety and enjoyment of their experience. This position will also be required to perform light maintenance and cleaning of equipment and supplies.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Ensure delivery of exceptional guest experience for all guests.
- Work directly with clients and guests on coordination of their experiences at Surf Ranch.
- Wears the team uniform in accordance with the uniform code. Maintains a neat appearance and a professional manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the daily activities of the Ranch.
- Assists in maintaining a safe working environment for all.
- Responds to emergency situations received by radio, telephone and personal request in accordance with Surf Ranch standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for boat cleanliness, organization and general appearance.
- Work in conjunction with the Surf Ranch boat captain to instruct guest on water sports.
- Responsible for outfitting each guest with proper equipment per watersport.
- Support requests of all operating groups/departments within Surf Ranch and KSWC in a timely and professional manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain proficiency in all areas as it pertains to his/her area(s) of responsibilities.
- Outdoor work conditions will involve weather, noise, and hazardous materials.
- Required to often work extended periods of time.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to adapt to changes in a fast paced, dynamic, and sometimes intense work environment
- Ability to use or learn to use, the following equipment: computer, printer and etc.; telephone, two-way radio and other necessary equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos in English.
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Preferred if in Possession of CBC (California Boater Card)
- Knowledge and background in boat operation and water sports.
- Knowledge in all watersports, Wakeboarding, Wake surfing, Skiing, etc.
- Knowledge of all equipment that is used in each watersport.
- Ability to train/instruct guest on watersports. Ex. (Teach someone how to wake surf)
- Ability to provide coaching in a way that appeals to the guests.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping and crouching
- Must be able to work outside in heat, boat has Bimini Cover.
Kelly Slater Wave Company (KSWC) is an innovative wave technology company. KSWC is the first company to develop a formula that combines cutting edge science, engineering, and design to create the longest, open-barrel, high-performance wave in existence. The Wave System can mimic the power, speed, and experience found in the best ocean waves. As envisioned by 11-time world champion Kelly Slater, KSWC was created to evolve the sport of surfing by making it more accessible. The company is creating world-class, high-performance training centers where top athletes can perfect their talent. In addition, the company is looking at development applications for surfers of any level to enjoy the best man-made waves.