The Director of Surf is responsible for the guest experience related to surf and wave basin operations at Surf Ranch. This includes management of the Surf Team and Lifeguard staff. The Director of Surf will report directly the General Manager.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Ensure delivery of exceptional guest experience for all surfers and guests.
- Work directly with clients and guests on the planning and coordination of their experiences at Surf Ranch.
- Manages Surf Team and insures quality coaching and surf instruction.
- Work with WSL WaveCo product team on the creation of surf coaching curriculum and a defined and measurable process for improving guest surfing abilities at all levels.
- Manage the implementation of technology-based teaching tools including video analysis and land-based training programs.
- Be responsible for the implementation of alternative modules of guest experience including camps, destination surf, demo days and microfestivals.
- Responsible for delivery of water safety and lifeguard training including reporting, documentation and quality assurance.
- Respond and resolve guest service related issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide management and oversight on all departments budgets as they relate to both labor and operational expenses.
- Communicate accurately and in a timely manner, matters which pertain to the delivery of hospitality and guest service status/readiness to the General Manager.
- Support requests of all operating groups/departments within Surf Ranch and WSL WaveCo in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist in the development and implementation of processes which enhance system efficiencies and increase productivity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain proficiency in all areas as it pertains to Director of Surf area(s) of responsibilities.
- Outdoor work conditions will involve weather, noise, and hazardous materials.
- Required to often work extended periods of time.
- At least three years of experience in a surf resort or hospitality setting responsible for leading teams in the areas of guest service and surf.
- Experience in or around the surfing industry.
- Experience as a surf instructor.
- Experience as a lifeguard, boat-person or other qualified life safety training.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently under pressure; proactive thinker/self-starter.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible is essential.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.
- Strong team player.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping and crouching.
- Position is based in Lemoore, California.
- Position is a Full-Time benefited position.
- Salary is DOE.