Reporting to the President, Tours, Experiences & International, the VP, Experiences at the World Surf League (WSL) will play a vital role and will serve as a key member of the Tours, Experiences & International leadership team. This creative and commercially-minded executive will be involved in long-range planning and ensuring that the sport of surfing is well-positioned to accomplish the Company’s strategic goals. The VP, Experiences will work closely with the President, Tours, Experiences & International, as well as Executive Leadership to transform our current event experience as it relates to competitive ocean and wave system events and develop new experiences that differentiate the WSL and lead the market in lifestyle / cultural experiences. S/he will have substantial impact in enhancing the overall development and value of the business.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Build a strategy and roadmap of the fan journey for each of the key competitive event experiences within the WSL portfolio – with the goal of building world class experiences while also building profitability and commercial value for each event
- Serves as the final arbiter for creative excellence for events and experiences
- Lead creative excellence, including creative strategy, quality of creative execution & craft, and serves as the final arbiter for creative excellence for events and experiences.
- Curate an all senses experience for fans including music, art, entertainment, food and sustainability.
- Lead the ideation and execution of new, commercially-oriented experiences both in and outside of the competitive surfing / tour product
- Lead the definition and development of a world-class VIP experience product
- Defining the overall aesthetic of WSL experiences, both big and small!
- Lead the definition and model for delivering unique and differentiated events and fan experiences within the Surf Ranch brand
- Develop strategic partner collaborations to enhance the event and experiential offerings and grow the WSL brand
- Drive the evolution and commercialization of the WSL & Big Wave Awards
- Support building a high-performing, cross-functional team culture where discovery and exploration of new ideas are viewed as vital to the success of the enterprise
- Integrate the focus and awareness to the WSL's commitment to sustainability and environmental causes into experiences.
- Deep understanding & proven track record in developing events from concept to execution
- Demonstrated experience in driving fan growth through experiential events
- Deep understanding of sport and entertainment landscape
- Cross-sector experience at strategizing, developing and implementing new events and brand driving experiences
- Measurable success at introducing new and/or developing events/experiences with an eye toward commercial growth
- Willingness to travel globally
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Deeply creative, out of the box thinker
- Results oriented
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges;
- Able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available;
- Willing to take unpopular stands when necessary