The Lifeguard plays a strong role in keeping Surf Ranch guests safe. Under the direct supervision of the Surf Ranch General Manager and the Water Safety Manager, the Lifeguard II will be responsible for Surf Ranch water safety and medical aid when incidents occur. The Lifeguard II will oversee all Lifeguard I employees and will make water related decisions with the utmost regard for Surf Ranch employees and its guests. The Lifeguard II must have and expert level understanding of all wave system operations as well as the ability to direct others and manage others in a team and group setting. The Lifeguard II will direct all Lifeguards and Surf Coaches when any medical or water related emergency occurs.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Actively observe activities in the wave basin and facilitate a safe guest experience.
• Manage all employees and guests who enter the wave basin to surf, assist surfers, or to maintain the basin itself.
• Work directly with F&B Ops, Surf Coaches, and other Lifeguards to ensure a timely schedule as to when guests should be in the water for their designated heat.
• Direct all Lifeguard I and Surf Coaches when minor and/or major water and medical emergencies occur.
• Complete detailed reports for all incidents that require lifeguard contact.
• Maintain training requirements.
• Maintain the general upkeep of Surf Ranch facilities including boat ramp and lifeguard towers.
• Ensure all activities & operations are conducted in accordance with established procedures and policies.
• Clearly communicate between, water safety, control tower, and jet ski operator.
• Activate the 911 system should a guest need care from paramedics and/or fire rescue.
• Responsible for a thorough safety briefing if Water Safety Manager is unavailable.
• Thorough understanding of ‘Surf Ranch Water Safety & Rescue Operations’.
• Thorough understanding of ‘Surf Ranch Wave System Theory of Operations’.
• 5+ years previous experience as ocean lifeguard
• USLA Lifeguard Certification
• EMT certification
• Wave Runner (PWC) rescue experience and training
• 5+ Years managing lifeguard operations
• Above all, integrity and honesty
• Exceptional work ethic and attention to detail
• Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best practices in mind
• Masterful organizational skills
• An open and collaborative nature
• Optimism and energy for the brand and it’s future
• An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching, and the development of people
- Physically able to swim, swim in rough and deep water, walk, run, walk or run over rough or uneven surfaces, bend, stoop, lift, push, pull, and carry loads; use hand to handle, or feel; reach with arms and hands; talk, taste, smell and see (both near and far). Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch.
- Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 80-pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes.
- Ability to lift a person off the bottom and out of the water.
- Perform all skills required for Life guarding, First Aid, and CPR.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time in outside air temperatures and conditions.
- Comfortable in the water.