The Vice President, Public Relations and Communications serves as a key member of the Marketing team and leads the Public Relations (PR) / Communications team. The executive will lead his or her team and provide strategic oversight in partnership with the cross-functional leadership team. This role reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Build global PR strategy/roadmap around the WSL’s key assets including: The CT Tour & Event offerings, Digital, Media & Content offerings, as well as the KSWC Technology offering.
- Create heroes through the development of the profiles of our athletes both in and out of the water
- Create a narrative and calendar of key moments to best communicate the WSL's story to the broadest fan and media audience in the most compelling way.
- Support and develop Partner channels and leverage WSL influencers and advocates for the benefit of WSL
- Direct the creation and execution of media strategies and PR programs to ensure quality media coverage for all Company brands. Specific to corporate matters, developing messaging and outreach activities for topics including but not limited to corporate social responsibility, health and wellness, corporate and personal philanthropic efforts, innovation, public policy and other areas of strategic corporate significance.
- Manage relationships with international agencies, freelancers and other partners who contribute to the PR function. Through skills and needs assessments, develop and manage a productive structure that encourages creativity and collaboration.
- With a focus on talent management and integration with marketing colleagues, build awarding career paths for PR professionals that result in high performance and loyalty.
- Oversee and manage key reputational issues while maintaining a risk register to predict and eradicate or minimize potential threats; crisis communication
- Leads team to be best-in-class at event announcements and delivery and general brand awareness
- Direct the company's relationships with key top-of-line press and social media influencers and bloggers; as well as direct relationships with trade press/influencers in support of business line communications.
- Work closely with WSL owners on vetting speaking opportunities and honorariums; assist in drafting speeches and presentations.
- Works closely with a large diverse team to create an enterprise culture that is obsessed with understanding WSL fans, athletes, consumers and partners
- Creates a discipline and expertise around data, analytics and insights that can be monetized to grow the business
- Deep business experience with related PR and Comms experience in the media/sports/entertainment industry
- Results-driven executive who enjoys not only building the strategy, but also rolling his or her sleeves up to drive results.
- Enjoys the challenge of cultivating new relationships as well as maintaining and grooming existing relationships to bolster brand recognition and presence in the media space
- Demonstrated track record of planning, managing and executing on complex campaigns
- Excellent strategic thinking and analysis skills and a proven track record of creating solutions to drive client loyalty and grow revenue
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to establish effective relationships with all levels including executive management
- Ability to manage and grow internal and external cross functional relationships and partnerships
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working in similar role(s)
- Knowledge of digital media business desired
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best business practices in mind
- An exceptional work ethic
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Masterful organizational skills
- An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching and the development of people
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V