What is WorkMarket?
WorkMarket, an ADP company, provides a cloud-based Freelance Management System (FMS) that is used by today’s biggest companies to organize, manage and pay their freelancers and independent contractors.
As the industry’s #1 FMS, WorkMarket helps some of the most well known enterprises today to organize, manage and pay every aspect of their flexible workforce -- all in one platform.
We provide UI extensibility through an SDK, an enterprise-scale API, advanced algorithm-based talent discovery and management, tasks and payments workflow customization, and financial reconciliation and compliance.
For more about ADP acquisition of WorkMarket, please see https://www.workmarket.com/press/adp-acquires-workmarket
Why you should join us
WorkMarket is one of NYC’s fastest-growing companies and was recently acquired by the most trusted name in human capital management, ADP. We’re looking for brilliant engineers, technologists and software developers to join us on a mission of a lifetime: to power the future of work.
From New York to Boston to Toronto -- the entire WorkMarket team is committed to building powerful enterprise software that can help the biggest companies on the planet work smarter and faster.
If you are the type of person who likes to get your hands dirty but also has a desire to participate in architecture and/or product strategy conversation, WorkMarket offers a unique, startup-like experience where you will have plenty of opportunities to get involved.
Check out our engineering blog.
Learn more about our diversity and inclusion efforts here.
We developed a progressive web application based on our “Single Page App” Architecture, aka “SPA”, on top of a domain-driven API-first platform. Our back-end is a Java-based distributed microservice architecture running in AWS.
Our primary stacks are:
- Architecture - API-Driven Microservices & Micro Frontends
- Front-end: React, Redux, Swagger, Node/NPM, Webpack, Babel
- Back-end: Java 8, Spring boot, Netflix OSS, Solr, Kafka, Zuul
- Build: Jenkins, Docker, Artifactory, Gradle
- Infrastructure: AWS, Consul, Nomad, TerraForm, Vault, Salt, MySQL/RDS
- Observability: Prometheus, ElasticSearch/Fluentd/Kibana, Grafana, Zipkin
What we are looking for
The infrastructure team at WorkMarket is focused on developing creative and innovative ways to intelligently build, scale, and improve performance of a cutting edge distributed application. We work closely with engineering and product teams to help streamline the delivery of our application while taking advantage of our highly dynamic cloud hosting environment. Using best in class tooling, we strive to make sure our platform is performant, scalable, and highly automated. If this sounds like your type of gig then come apply!
- Designing, deploying, and managing our WorkMarket infrastructure in AWS. We treat our infrastructure as code using tools like Packer and Terraform to ensure everything is source control managed, verifiable before applying changes, and following our SDLC processes.
- Helping our developers take their code and run it inside our infrastructure. This can include dockerizing apps, configuring build jobs, externalizing configs, verifying monitoring/metrics are in place, documenting runbooks, etc.
- Communicating and managing work within the team as well as other groups in the company.
- Troubleshooting issues that pop up in either the infrastructure or our application stack mentioned above. Also being a part of our on-call rotation which we share with the development team.
- Optimizing the performance of our site to meet our SLA requirements around uptime and speed. We are a metrics driven organization who believes in accountability for the areas we manage while helping other teams meet theirs.
- Build OKRs and contribute to roadmaps around Infrastructure projects while incorporating the roadmaps from other teams into ours.
- Help lead post-mortems and drive improvement throughout the company. We believe in blameless post-mortems as an opportunity to learn through failure and reinvest those lessons back into strengthening our platform.
- Help drive security best practices across the organization. Make sure our platform can defend itself from any type of attack or intrusion.
- Highly skilled in AWS technologies, notably VPC, ELB/ALB, EC2, S3, RDS, IAM
- Solid understanding of Linux (Ubuntu or other distros) system administration, configuration, and command-line tools.
- Solid understanding of core networking (LAN/WAN/IP/TCP/VPN) as well as AWS concepts (Security Groups/NACL/Route Table/IGW/VPG)
- Proficient in one or many scripting languages such as Bash, Python, Go, etc.
- Understanding of JVM-based applications nice to have. How to analyze a JVM threads, memories and GC events.
- Proficient using Hashicorp tools like Terraform, Packer, and knowledgeable of Consul, Vault, and Nomad
- Very comfortable with Docker and some form of a scheduler like Kubernetes, Nomad, Mesos, ECS, etc.
- Experience with metrics/monitoring tools like New Relic, Prometheus, FluentD, Kibana, Grafana, ElasticSearch, Zipkin, Sumo Logic.
- Worked with distributed systems such as microservice or event-driven architectures.
- Comfortable managing databases from an administration perspective as well as identifying areas of optimization around partitioning, sharding, indexing, etc.
- Familiar with 12 factor apps and the different components of running an application.
Software in the Cloud. Experts on the Ground:
ADP powers the working world with comprehensive solutions that drive business success.Consistently named one of the “Most Admired Companies” by FORTUNE® Magazine, and recognized byForbes® as one of “The World’s Most Innovative Companies,” ADP has over a half-million clients around the globe and 65 years of experience as one of the largest providers of human capital management solutions world-wide.
At ADP, we believe that diversity fuels innovation. ADP is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.