Entrepreneur First is the world’s leading company builder. We build startups from scratch and invest in them as they grow. We were told it was impossible to build companies this way, however over the past five years we have built some of the most valuable companies coming out of Europe and Asia. EF has now created - and invested in - more than 100 companies, which are now worth >$500m, and have raised >$100m in venture capital. Magic Pony Technology was created through the EF process and exited to Twitter in 2016 for $150m, just 18 months after it was founded.
In September we raised a $12m A-round from some of the world’s most renowned investors to scale our mission of enabling the world’s most ambitious people to become founders. This is a key inflexion point for EF, as we continue to grow our team and aggressively expand our international presence.
The Finance Director is a new senior role that will be pivotal to this global expansion, and will be responsible for developing operational backbone of our business - Finance & Operations.
You will be responsible for the scaling of three key business function: financial accounting and management, fund management and compliance.
Your team and key relationships:
You will be managing an existing team of seven across these functions. The team is currently configured as follows:
- The Finance Team - UK
- Finance Manager
- Finance Associate
- The Finance & Operations Team - SG
- F&O Manager
- F&O Associate
- The Global Fund Operations Function - Based in the UK
- Fund Ops Analyst
- Graduate Analyst
- The Global Compliance Function - Based in the UK
- Compliance Analyst
Moreover, you will be collaborating closely with key stakeholders in other functions within EF; in addition to your close working relationship with the CFO and CEO, you will be collaborating with the Managing Directors of the London and Singapore offices, as well as our in-house legal counsel.
Finally, you will also be responsible for managing EF’s relationship with key third party service providers, including auditors, fund accountants and administrators, and compliance advisors.
Roles and responsibilities
- Work with the CFO on the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate, and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, and targets
- Champion company-wide budgetary planning and subsequently oversee and review progress against budgets
- Ensure that our financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future scale, including international growth
- Take ultimate responsibility for the company cash management policies
- Work closely with our CEO, CFO and People Lead to review and assess remuneration on an annual basis
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met
- Manage our finance team to ensure sound business-as-usual financial accounting and management, including monthly management and cash reports
- Collaborate - and foster strong working relationships with - third party service providers, such as accountants, auditors and tax advisors
Global Fund Operations
- Work with the CFO on managing our three funds - £56m AUM - across the UK, Singapore and future locations
- Support the CFO in the continued iteration of our fund deployment strategy
- Collaborate closely with our CEO and CFO to formulate and elaborate on future fund plans
- Ensure that our fund operations systems and processes are efficient, scalable and effective
- Collaborate with our Fund Administrators and Auditors to ensure timely and accurate completion of statutory requirements and commitments to investors, including quarterly reporting and annual fund audits
- Be responsible for ensuring EF’s regulatory compliance - in both UK and SG - with respect to our fund and investment activities
- Champion the importance of compliance throughout the business and collaborate closely with the company’s Directors and our Compliance Analyst to ensure the implementation of - and adherence to - robust compliance processes
We are looking for an exceptional individual who has a proven track record in:
- Managing finance functions in complex, multi-geography, multi-entity businesses
- Building and managing diverse teams of specialists
- C-level stakeholder management
- 7-10 years of post-qualification experience, ideally working as an FD or equivalent in a prior role
- ACA, CIMA or ACCA chartered accountant
- Proficient in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP rules
To do the role well, you'll need to be:
- A leader. Ideally, you:
- Are a strong, clear communicator
- Think strategically and can communicate your strategy across your teams
- Give and absorb direct, honest feedback
- Are someone people want to work for and with
- Both strategic and operational. Ideally, you:
- Must have a passion for getting things done, and an appreciation for details.
- Must believe in continual process improvement, but you must be ready to jump in to help your team handle fires as they occur.
- Are able to set the direction for the Finance & Operations team, ensuring that the team and its processes can scale efficiently and effectively with the growing business
- Share our values. This means you:
- Believe that technology can shape the future
- Want to be a part of that change by helping to build a world-class institution
- Want to set big goals and push yourself and others to greatness
You will report to Entrepreneur First’s Global CFO
You will be based in our London office in Bermondsey.
The salary for this role is £110,000-120,000, depending on experience, plus very generous participation in our global fund carry (long term incentive) scheme and an equity grant in the EF management company.