The Disruption of Ambition
By joining Entrepreneur First, you are helping:
To build the world's most important companies
by creating the most valuable career path
for the most ambitious people.
That's our mission. We're in the business of Technology Entrepreneurship and the Disruption of Ambition.
EF needs you to help develop this process. Nobody else is doing it; we are discovering how. At EF, you will be writing the blueprint for a new type of company builder, working directly with talented founders to help them change the world. We call this 21st Century Alchemy.
The Technology Amplifier
EF provides founders with the greatest assembly of talent they will encounter in their lives, and we aim to reach every founder in the world. Scaling our model whilst maintaining our standard requires enhanced decision-making, coordination and communication. Technology allows each of us to do more. There is no tutorial explaining how to build a company builder: as an EF engineer, your job is not just to sharpen tools, but to invent them.
Ours is a people business, with more questions than answers. Putting data at the heart of our decisions is what makes EF possible. We embrace functional principles, valuing simplicity even when it's hard. This is not dogmatism, but pragmatism: we aim to be effective. Clojure, Datomic, spec, generative testing, re-frame - these are the best tools available to us today; but we want you to teach us things we don't know, show us how to think better and to keep learning the skills you need to push yourself and your team further.
You will be part of a close-knit team and share responsibility for its successes and failures. Identifying improvements and celebrating victories are important - we need your guidance to help us grow, and we will support you as a team.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Building APIs in Clojure, with Postgres and Datomic databases
- Building frontends in ClojureScript, using Reagent and re-frame
- Designing UIs with Bootstrap & CSS
- Systems architecture and application design
- Responding to data requests
- Maintaining and deploying apps on AWS
Haven't worked with all of these things before? Don't worry - there will be opportunities to learn. All we require is a good grounding in functional programming.
EF has a lot going on, and you'll have the chance to get inolved in any number of additional activities such as giving talks, writing blog posts, sitting on panels, organising events and coaching the cohort, as well as regular discussions around the nature of ambition, scale and funding.
What you get
- Company pension (we contribute 6%)
- 20 days of holiday plus two extra weeks over Christmas and New Year
- 6 weeks paternity leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Office fruit and drinks
- £200 book and training allowance
- Regular fun team away days to the countryside
We welcome all applications, whatever your background or the route you took into development, and we're happy to consider flexible working or other forms of support, so please do ask - we want a position at EF to be the right thing for you.
The application process
Before any assessment, you'll have a call with a member of the team to discuss EF, the role, and answer any questions you may have.
Once you're happy to apply, these are the stages your application will go through; after each stage we'll assess your application and let you know whether we're proceeding to the next:
- Application form. Not all questions are required, but you can add anything you'd like to share.
- A telephone interview with a developer lasting around 30 minutes. We'll ask you some technical questions about Clojure to assess your understanding of the language.
- We invite you into the office for half a day. If this is inconvenient for you we can use Skype or Hangouts, but if you can make it into the office then we recommend that you do; you'll get a better impression of what it's like to work here. During this time you'll have two interviews and a pairing exercise with an engineer.
- We make you an offer.
- After you start, you will have a 3-month probationary period. Further details in your employment contract.
Unfortunately we are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Equal opportunities & monitoring
We believe in equal opportunities and value diversity at Entrepreneur First. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are signatories of the Tech Talent Charter. The information we collect around gender, nationality, and ethnicity helps us monitor and improve our application process, and does not affect how we consider your application. We really appreciate you taking the time to provide it.
No agencies please.