Entrepreneur First brings together the world’s most ambitious people to build startups from scratch in Europe and Asia. We help individuals form teams, develop ideas, and subsequently raise funding from investors to build the world’s most important companies.
To date we have helped over 1,000 individuals build 150 companies with a total valuation of just under $1.5 billion. They're funded by leading VCs and Angels investors from across Europe, Asia and the US, including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, and Y Combinator. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony, led by Rob Bishop and Zehan Wang, which was acquired by Twitter for a reported $150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme.
Our model of building companies has been backed and validated by Silicon Valley’s top investors. We recently raised US$12.4M in a round led by Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, with participation from Greylock Partners, Founders Fund and other top US venture capital firms as well as the DeepMind founders.
The Asia Talent Lead's role will be to make sure the world’s best potential founders want to join EF, now and long into the future. Talent is the most important thing we do at EF, and we need to ensure that EF remains the best in the world at finding and attracting high quality people. This means that -
In the short term:
- As we scale, our learning needs to scale with us. We want scale to increase our learning rate, not disaggregate our knowledge or force us to reinvent the wheel in new geographies.
- As we scale, new expertise and strategies become viable. Shared resources and a larger alumni base mean that things that didn’t make sense before, now do.
In the long term:
- Talent must become our moat. At the heart of EF’s long term defensibility is our ability to attract the best talent through community, brand, and partnerships.
- We must continue to innovate. We always need to be first and best, both in how we reach high quality talent, and in our value proposition to them.
In the short run (<6-12 months), your goal is to build amazing processes/teams that makes recruiting cohorts easy. You will be responsible for the continuous improvement of the tools that enable local teams across our Asian locations to ensure cohorts are oversubscribed with great potential founders. This means -
Building best practices into our talent strategy across the region and globally:
- Coordinate with the Form Leads in our Asian offices as well as Europe Talent teams to align strategy, tooling, and tracking on a per cycle basis.
- Review talent outcomes and strategies with Form Leads and Europe on a per cycle basis.
- Communicate reviews and strategy to our Executive Committee on a per cycle basis.
Creating a regional centre of excellence which builds world-class and scalable talent processes:
- Manage our talent outreach through sourcing, long term, and hiring pipelines.
- Build our community through online alumni engagement, major events, locally focused content, and PR.
- Expand our online presence through digital ads, content marketing, and social media.
In the long run (>12-24 months), your goal is to build a talent team at EF that is the best in the world, that innovates, and that builds long term moats around our most important communities. This means -
Push our thinking
- Carry out reviews of best practices from across industries and companies, to bring in ideas and expertise.
- Focus our company culture around the importance of talent.
- Build the most customer obsessed team in the company that understands the perceptions and mindsets of the most talented potential founders.
Invest in moats
- Build long term relationships with key talent feeder organisations.
- Create long term partnerships which open up new or protect old talent pipelines.
- Manage experimentation within the region through country-by-country iterations.
- Run considered, high variance talent experiments with worth-it failure rates.
You should have:
- A deeply credible background with 5+ years of experience in sales, people, or recruitment. You’ve run teams, developed people, and know what it takes to build high performance talent acquisition organisations.
- Experience working in cross geography, functional teams with multiple dotted lines and stakeholders.
- A track record of hiring, developing, and inspiring exceptional individuals.
- Should be able to manage and build peer-like relationships with stakeholders at the highest level, including investors, government officials, academics and university staff.
- Should be passionate and knowledgeable about the EF model and mission.
Reporting: You will report directly to our Asia MD, with dotted lines into our Form Leads/GMs, as well as our European and Global teams and Executive Committee.
Remuneration: his is an important role for EF. You will receive a base salary of S$8.5k-S$12k per month, on top of significant upside via returns in our funds’ profits. We want you to live comfortably, but be incentivised by great outcomes for the portfolio.
Location: You'll be based at our offices at 32 Carpenter Street in Singapore although there will be substantial work-related travel to our other Asian locations.