About Entrepreneur First
Entrepreneur First (“EF”) was founded in 2011 by Alice Bentinck and Matt Clifford with the aim of enabling the world’s most ambitious people to build the most important companies, and that is still true today. We are the world’s leading talent investor; we invest time and money in outstanding individuals, helping them find a co-founder, develop an idea, and start a technology company from scratch.
Across our programmes in Europe and Asia, to date we have helped over 1,200 individuals build more than 200 companies, with a total valuation of $1.5 billion based on our internal estimates as at today’s date. . EF’s companies have been funded by many of the leading venture investors in Europe, Asia and Silicon Valley. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony Technology which was acquired by Twitter for a reported $150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme. EF itself is backed by some of the world’s best investors, including the founders of LinkedIn, DeepMind and PayPal.
Entrepreneur First now runs cohorts in Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangalore, London, Paris and Berlin, and over 1,200 extraordinary people have gone through our programme globally. Please find out more about the Entrepreneur First process on www.joinef.com.
We are looking for an Entrepreneur-in-Residence for the Form team in Hong Kong, who will deliver the EF process of helping build startups from scratch. This is a role with enormous opportunity for immediate impact. The Form Team at EF creates the platform for the world’s highest potential individuals to achieve the impact they are capable of. This means turning each selected cohort of 50 individuals into world-class startups. After the Form stage, EF invests and the Launch Team prepares them for external funding. It once seemed impossible to build companies from scratch. Over the past 5 years we've built a robust, scalable way to do this. Our method creates some of the most valuable startups produced in Europe and Asia. EF has a unique opportunity to develop the secret to building billion dollar companies from scratch - and the EiR will be part of the team building this in Hong Kong.
- Demonstrated experience as a founder in one or more startups, or as a senior team member in one or more early-stage, high-growth companies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of early-stage startup development and funding of technology companies.
- Demonstrated ability to ramp up quickly in understanding the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startups.
- Possess a high EQ and enjoy mentoring and developing entrepreneurs.
- Have a ‘hands-on’ work ethic - we are looking for people who just get things done and actively seek ownership.
- Are quick at learning new concepts and principles and practically applying them.
The Form Team handles the EF experience from the moment people are selected to join until they have an investable startup (Form is a 3 month period). The EiR in Hong Kong will help specifically with 3 aspects of Form:
- Team Building - Crack the code for building teams from scratch.
We have developed a robust team-building methodology based on our 6 years of experience in the London, Singapore, Berlin, Paris, Bangalore and Hong Kong cohorts, which have resulted in over 150 seed-funded companies to date. Your mission is to build as many strong teams as possible.
- Work with founders to help them progress into teams.
- Actively manage team breakups and formation.
- Develop and refine EF's team-building frameworks.
- Use EF's historical data to create optimal co-founding teams.
- Ideation - Ensure the teams work on high-potential ideas.
We are in a privileged position in being able to shape how our founding teams think about generating and testing their ideas, right at the inception of the company. This can radically change the trajectory of a company for the better. Your mission is to make these ideas as high potential as possible within the constraints of the founders combined skills and insights.
- Work with EF founders to develop their ideas.
- Develop and refine EF's frameworks on ideation.
- Ensure the teams move fast to validate their ideas with customers.
Let's face it, most ideas are bad - at least at first. The EiR plays a key role as advisor as the teams do customer development, providing guidance on when to learn and pivot and when to just start fresh.
- Investment readiness - From teams to companies.
EF invests in all the companies in a cohort that we believe have a good chance of raising capital externally. The EiRs help the companies build a rounded picture of their prospects to present to the internal panel and also contribute to the training the founders receive prior to demo day and going out to raise.
You Also Get To
Surround yourself with the world’s smartest and most exceptional individuals and have the opportunity to work in an institution that is changing the way the most ambitious people think about their careers.
Supercharge your learning - you’ll have a very steep learning curve and work alongside a talented, ambitious, and committed team.
Embed yourself within the EF network - we work with the best founders and investors in the region.
Work in a diverse, distributed, global team and learn best practices from teams around the world.
2-3 days/week for minimum 12 months.
Most of our EiRs either go on to found another company or join the EF team on a permanent basis.
Your direct manager will be Entrepreneur First’s Form Manager in Hong Kong.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, including long term incentives.
Above and beyond financial compensation, the benefits of working at EF include:
- The opportunity to work with a fast-growing organisation that is influencing the growth of tech entrepreneurship - and changing the paradigm around startup creation - not only in the UK, but globally;
- Being part of a buzzing space full of technical founders and being part of a small and fast paced team;
- A holiday allowance of circa. 6 weeks (20 days plus a 2-3 days discretionary holiday and a week during Christmas);
- A book allowance to help us collectively build the EF library; and
- Opportunities for travel, including to our annual Global Retreat where you will have an opportunity to get to know and network with your international team members.
As soon as possible.
EF champions diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment in which a variety of backgrounds thrive. We do not tolerate discrimination of any nature including but not limited to discriminating on the basis of race, colour, religion, culture, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual preference, age, disability, or marital status.