About Entrepreneur First (EF)
Entrepreneur First brings together the world’s most ambitious people to build deep tech startups from scratch in Paris, London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Bangalore and Singapore. We invest in exceptional individuals even before they have a team or an idea and help them find a cofounder, develop ideas, and subsequently raise funding from investors to build the world’s most valuable tech companies.
To date we have helped build 230 companies with a total valuation of over $1.5 billion. They're funded by leading VCs and angel investors from across Europe, Asia and the US, including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, and Y Combinator. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony, led by Rob Bishop and Zehan Wang, which was acquired by Twitter for a reported US$150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme.
Most recently, we have raised US$12M in a round led by Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, with participation from Greylock Partners, Founders Fund and other top US venture capital firms as well as the Deep Mind founders.
We are looking for an Entrepreneur-in-Residence for the Form team, who will deliver the EF process of helping build startups from scratch. This is a role with enormous opportunity for immediate impact. The Form Team at EF creates the platform for the world’s highest potential individuals to achieve the impact they are capable of. This means turning each selected cohort of 100 individuals into world-class startups. After the Form stage, EF invests and the Launch Team prepares them for external funding. It once seemed impossible to build companies from scratch. Over the past 5 years we've built a robust, scalable way to do this. Our method creates some of the most valuable startups produced in Europe and Asia. EF has a unique opportunity to develop the secret to building billion dollar companies from scratch.
The Form Team handles the EF experience from the moment people are selected to join until they have an investable startup. The EiR will help specifically with 3 aspects of Form:
Team Building - Crack the code for building teams from scratch.
We have developed a robust team-building methodology based on our 6 years of experience in the London, Singapore, Berlin, Paris, Bangalore and Hong Kong cohorts, which have resulted in over 100 seed-funded companies to date. Your mission is to build as many strong teams as possible.
- Work with sole founders to help them progress into teams
- Actively manage team breakups and formation.
- Develop and refine EF's team-building frameworks.
- Use EF's historical data to create optimal co-founding teams.
Ideation - Ensure the teams work on high-potential ideas
We are in a privileged position in being able to shape how our founding teams think about generating and testing their ideas, right at the inception of the company. This can radically change the trajectory of a company for the better. Your mission is to make these ideas as high potential as possible within the constraints of the founders combined skills and insights.
- Work with EF founders to develop their ideas.
- Develop and refine EF's frameworks on ideation
- Ensure the teams move fast to validate their ideas with customers.
Let's face it, most ideas are bad - at least at first. The EIR plays a key role as advisor as the teams do customer development, providing guidance on when to learn and pivot and when to just start fresh
Investment readiness - From teams to companies
EF invests in all the companies in a cohort that we believe have a good chance of raising capital externally. The EIRs help the companies build a rounded picture of their prospects to present to the internal panel and also contribute to the training the founders receive prior to demo day and going out to raise.
You should ideally have:
- Demonstrated experience as a founder in one or more startups, or as a senior team member in one or more early-stage, high-growth companies
- Demonstrated knowledge of early-stage startup development and funding of technology companies
- Demonstrated ability to ramp up quickly in understanding the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startups
- Possess a high EQ and enjoy mentoring and developing entrepreneurs
- Are driven to solve problems and create real, tangible impact
- Have a ‘hands-on’ work ethic - we are looking for people who just get things done and actively seek ownership
Bonus points for:
- A technical or scientific background
You'll also get to:
- Surround yourself with the world’s smartest and most exceptional individuals and have the opportunity to work in an institution that can change the way the most ambitious people think about their careers.
- Supercharge your learning - you’ll have a very steep learning curve and work alongside a talented, ambitious, and committed team.
- Embed yourself within the EF network - we work with the best founders and investors in the region
Commitment: 3-5 days per week for 3-12 months. Most of our EiRs either go on to found another company or join the EF team on a permanent basis.
Location: You’ll be based at our offices at Station F in Paris.
Start Date: September 2019