Entrepreneur First brings together the world’s most ambitious people to build startups from scratch in Europe and Asia. We help individuals form teams, develop ideas, and subsequently raise funding from investors to build the world’s most important companies.
To date we have helped over 1,000 individuals build 150 companies with a total valuation of just under $1.5 billion. They're funded by leading VCs and Angels investors from across Europe and the US, including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, and Y Combinator. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony, led by Rob Bishop and Zehan Wang, which was acquired by Twitter for a reported $150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme.
Most recently, we have raised US$12.4M in a round led by Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn, with participation from Greylock Partners, Founders Fund and other top US venture capital firms as well as the Deep Mind founders.
The Legal Associate is an exciting new role that will be responsible for running the Legal function at Entrepreneur First Singapore. It’s a hugely important role for us, both as a business and Fund manager. The individual in this role will be instrumental in ensuring that Entrepreneur First’s reputation in Singapore, and its shareholders’ and investors’ interests are safeguarded.
You will be working closely with the MD of Entrepreneur First Singapore, and will report to the Group’s Legal Counsel in London. You will be collaborating extensively with the Finance & Operations team in Singapore, and senior stakeholders in other functions within EF, including Form and Launch.
You will also be responsible for managing EF’s relationship and ongoing work with key third party legal service providers in Southeast Asia who advise on matters relating to both EF company matters and EF Fund activities.
This is a role with lots of autonomy and self-direction day-to-day. There are several possible growth opportunities which stem from taking on this role - EF is growing rapidly and as we scale, new functions and roles with lots of responsibility will be created.
1) Investment Activites
- Review, draft, and arrange for execution of investment documents for our portfolio companies in SE Asia
- Manage the negotiation process with our SE Asia portfolio companies in relation to their investment rounds
- Ensure smooth communication between portfolio companies and General Partners in relation to consent rights and execution of appropriate documentation
2) Regulatory Compliance
- Collaborate closely with the company’s Legal Counsel and Directors to ensure that our SE Asian operations are fully compliant with the regulations of each jurisdiction
- Support our Compliance Manager, based in London, in implementing robust compliance processes in SE Asia
3) CoSec Responsibilities
- Ensure that EF meets the statutory and legal requirements expected of a Singapore incorporated PTE Ltd company
You should have:
- 2-3 years of experience as a qualified solicitor, preferably with a background in corporate and venture capital law
- Proven track record in drafting and reviewing of investment documents, client and stakeholder management and delivery of a premium legal service to an extensive client base
- A strong educational background
- Are a strong and clear communicator
- Believe in continual process improvement, and identify opportunities for improving the company’s legal processes, specifically with a view to ensuring efficient scaling
- Have a passion for getting things done, and an appreciation for details
Reporting: You will report directly to Entrepreneur First’s Global Legal Counsel in London.
You'll also get to:
- Surround yourself with the world’s smartest and most ambitious individuals and have the opportunity to help start an institution that can change the way the most ambitious people think about their careers
- Supercharge your learning - you’ll have a very steep learning curve and work alongside a talented, ambitious, and committed team
- Embed yourself within the EF network - we work with the best founders and investors in the region
- Enjoy a generous holiday allowance (20 days + 2 weeks at CNY and Christmas)
Location: You'll be based at our offices at 32 Carpenter Street in Singapore.
Remuneration: This is a crucial role for EF, and you will be compensated based on your experience, including long term incentives.
Start Date: ASAP