LEGAL ASSOCIATE, SINGAPORE
ABOUT ENTREPRENEUR FIRST
Entrepreneur First (“EF”) was founded in 2011 by Alice Bentinck and Matt Clifford with the aim of enabling the world’s most ambitious people to build the most important companies, and that is still true today. We are the world’s leading talent investor; we invest time and money in outstanding individuals, helping them find a co-founder, develop an idea, and start a technology company from scratch.
Across our programmes in Europe and Asia, to date we have helped over 1,200 individuals build more than 200 companies, with a total valuation of $1.5 billion based on our internal estimates as at today’s date. . EF’s companies have been funded by many of the leading venture investors in Europe, Asia and Silicon Valley. Our major exits to date include Magic Pony Technology which was acquired by Twitter for a reported $150m only 18 months after the Founders met on the EF programme. EF itself is backed by some of the world’s best investors, including the founders of LinkedIn, DeepMind and PayPal.
Entrepreneur First now runs cohorts in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangalore, Paris and Berlin, and over 1,200 extraordinary people have gone through our programme globally. Please find out more about the Entrepreneur First process on www.joinef.com.
The Legal Associate Singapore role is an exciting new role in our fast expanding legal team. You will be an integral part of our legal team, which is responsible for supporting our team members and programmes worldwide, but will be primarily responsible for liaising with stakeholders in Asia reporting to our General Counsel in London. We are a fast growing, global and highly ambitious company and in this role you’ll work directly on an extremely broad and varied range of matters in relation to our investments, fundraising, expansion and day-to-day business.
This role is truly unique, offering an unparalleled opportunity for a diverse and challenging role within the legal team of such a dynamic and novel organisation. The individual will be instrumental in ensuring that Entrepreneur First’s reputation in Asia, and its shareholders’ and investors’ interests are safeguarded.
WHO YOU ARE
- A strong and clear communicator and a team player;
- Exceptionally pro-active and happy to take decisions independently;
- Highly analytical and a skilled problem solver, with a passion for getting things done and a keen eye for detail;
- Thrives in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment and is resourceful in the face of ambiguity;
- Excited by the prospect of working in an international team and being required to give legal advice while taking into account commercial interests of stakeholders;
- Interested in tech entrepreneurship and/or investment into startups and relish the opportunity to learn more about the startup ecosystem
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You will work closely with the global legal team and the Finance & Operations team in Singapore as well as other senior stakeholders in other functions within EF, including Form and Launch to support our business which will involve the following:
- Being primarily responsible for reviewing, drafting and managing the execution process for the EF template investment documents for the portfolio companies formed on the EF programmes in Asia (currently Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangalore);
- Responding to queries raised by EF cohort members and taking into account tax and regulatory issues as well as stakeholder interests in relation to how EF structures investments and harmonising the process across the international cohorts;
- Reviewing and negotiating investment documents for EF portfolio companies’ later fundraising rounds; and
- Working closely with the international legal team to support on international deal flow and portfolio companies matters.
- Supporting our General Counsel on managing our four funds as at the date hereof as required;
- Assisting with fund structuring in the Asian markets (and internationally if interested), liaising with our external legal counsel and tax advisors to ensure timely and accurate completion of statutory requirements, compliance and commitments to investors
- Programme and F&O support:
- As the world’s leading talent investor, an integral part of the legal team’s role is supporting our Talent, Form and Launch team. Your role will involve responding to ad hoc queries from and supporting our Talent, Form and Launch teams in Asia; and
- You will also work closely with the rest of the Finance and Operations team in Asia and globally to ensure the smooth (and legal!) running of the EF business. At any time, this may involve assisting with a variety of projects such as EF’s internal structuring to comply with duties to our investors and carried interest grants.
- Regulatory and Compliance:
- Collaborate closely with EF’s General Counsel and Compliance Officer to ensure that our Asian operations are fully compliant with the regulations of each jurisdiction; and
- Support our Compliance Manager and the Singapore F&O team, in implementing robust compliance processes in Asia.
- At least 3-4 years of experience as a qualified solicitor with a background in corporate law and, preferably, venture capital and funds. Experience in international legal, tax and regulatory issues will be advantageous.
- Proven track record in drafting and reviewing of investment documents, client and stakeholder management and delivery of a premium legal service to an extensive client base.
Above and beyond financial compensation, the benefits of working at EF include:
- The opportunity to work with a fast-growing organisation that is influencing the growth of tech entrepreneurship - and changing the paradigm around startup creation - not only in the UK, but globally;
- Being part of a buzzing space full of technical founders and being part of a small and fast paced team;
- A holiday allowance of circa. 6 weeks (20 days plus a 2-3 days discretionary holiday and a week during Christmas);
- A book allowance to help us collectively build the EF library; and
- Opportunities for travel, including to our annual Global Retreat where you will have an opportunity to get to know and network with your international team members.
If of interest, please contact Carmen Hong (Carmen@joinef.com) with your CV and an email outlining why you are interested in the job.
Reporting Line : Your direct manager will be Entrepreneur First’s General Counsel in London but you will also report locally to our head of Finance & Operations in Asia.
Location and Start Date: You will be based in our offices at 32 Carpenter Street in Singapore and would start as soon as possible.
Remuneration: Competitive salary commensurate with experience, including long term incentives.
EF champions diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment in which a variety of backgrounds thrive. We do not tolerate discrimination of any nature including but not limited to discriminating on the basis of race, colour, religion, culture, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, or marital status.