WordPress VIP is the digital platform of choice for the world’s top brands and publishers. Our expertise running performant, secure, and stable applications at scale enables our clients to power high-touch digital experiences with ease. Our platform combines the unparalleled WordPress user experience with enterprise-grade infrastructure and best-in-class support, serving billions of web requests per day.
About the Role
We're looking for an experienced software engineer to help us mature our approach to testing as we build out our platform and future products. Our work touches all levels of the stack and you will get to work with technologies such as Node.js, GraphQL, PHP, Go, Docker, Elasticsearch, and React. If you love solving exciting problems and want to help empower development teams working at some of the most high-profile, high-traffic sites out there, come join us.
You're a good a fit for our team if you:
- Deeply understand test methodologies, such as functional, integration, regression, end-to-end, and performance testing.
- Are comfortable designing, developing, and maintaining reliable automated test suites that run as part of the project CI and/or nightly build system.
- Are disciplined, with an eye for detail, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Are an evangelist for quality who is willing to spread proven methodologies and quality mindset to the rest of the engineering org. You are always looking for a better way to do things.
- Are passionate about and experienced in software development, are highly collaborative, love participating in code reviews, and discussions about architecture, design, and the best approaches to managing your test data.
- Have a strong willingness to learn.
Extra credit if you have experience with:
- Open-source contributions or contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Product management experience.
- Engineering leadership experience.
These are exciting times at WordPress VIP and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our platform.
How we work:
- We're fully distributed! This isn’t your typical work-from-home job. Everyone works from the location they choose. We’re spread out all over the world in more than 70 countries.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed and principles.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce around the world.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Meet some of your future colleagues: Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. You can even work from a coffee shop and use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte.
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe. Note: All company travel is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful. We want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there.