Wonderschool is a two-sided childcare marketplace whose mission is to ensure every child has access to child care that helps them realize their potential. We are doing this by building a suite of tools to support passionate early care and education professionals to start and run quality and sustainable child care programs, as well as building tools that make it easy for families to easily find programs that are the perfect fit for the needs of their children. Our tools allow providers to easily manage their students, parents, and school all from one dashboard. Our community allows providers to seek advice, support, and a sense of belonging with a group of like-minded peers.
We are looking for a Senior Elixir Engineer (remote) to build delightful and intuitive experiences for our customers, from parents seeking quality child care to providers seeking efficiency and order in their business. You will work closely with stakeholders across the company to create simple solutions that bring the Wonderschool vision to life. As a successful Senior Software Engineer, you will not only build the user experience, but also help define and influence programming patterns, technology choices, and architecture.
Wonderschool is a San Francisco-based company that has a fully distributed engineering team with employees in several countries. We believe in giving our employees maximum flexibility, which is why you can work from anywhere, as long as you have a good internet connection and overlap with US Pacific Time working hours.
- Analyze requirements, break down tasks, estimate, and plan development of mission critical features
- Deliver features across the stack, from web and mobile applications to server-side APIs, schemas, and business logic
- Proactively communicate progress to our product team and leadership
- Learn our customer workflows and nuances within the early childcare industry
- Architect, build and maintain features in the Wonderschool product
- Debug production issues across the entire stack
- Rotating engineering support
- Occasionally attend user interviews and onboarding sessions to give support and receive feedback directly from customers
Required Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience as a backend or full stack engineer
- Previous experience with Elixir and React in production; our current stack is Postgres, Elixir/Ecto/Absinthe, GraphQL, React/React Native/Typescript
- Fully owning and delivering a feature end to end, from requirements analysis and task breakdown to milestone definition and delivery
- Working closely with a product manager or team
- Writing high-quality and readable code, with effective test coverage
- Defining timelines, and proactively communicating progress/updates with the rest of the team
- Interacting with product and engineering stakeholders; articulating and resolving concerns about potential side effects of a feature
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Proven experience breaking down features into bitesize deliverables.
- Experience working with relative estimations with a high degree of accuracy
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience utilizing concurrent systems and patterns in Elixir or Erlang/OTP
- Previous experience working with early stage startups
- Previous experience developing complex SaaS products
- Working with a distributed team
Wonderschool is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and talent.