Our mission is to make the best mental health tools radically accessible for everyone.
We are pioneers in building personalized digital mental health tools to help millions of people with mental health difficulties.
Our tools are powered by the latest research in NLP and ML, use scientifically proven techniques from Cognitive Behavior Therapy, and are based on 10 years of intervention science at Stanford University. Our founder has an international reputation in Digital Mental Health intervention development. Our Chairman is Andrew Ng; and Dan Jurafsky is a member of our advisory board, both globally recognized leaders in AI/NLP.
There has never been a better time to use your data science skills for good. Given the recent acceleration in infrastructure to allow for the meaningful adoption of digital therapeutics, our strong product reputation, and existing relationships within health systems, Woebot is in a period of explosive growth.
We are looking for product-minded Senior Data Scientists to use their expertise to enhance our understanding of the conversations Woebot has and deepen the intelligence, sophistication and personalization of those conversations.
What you will do:
As a member of the growing Data Science team, you will work cross-departmentally with clinical and engineering team members, notably with our Machine Learning Engineering team, to help translate your expertise into sophisticated conversation advances, impactful personalization features and intelligence in service of improved user experience and mental health outcomes.
NLP & Conversation AI
We are constantly looking to improve and evolve Woebot’s conversational capabilities while taking into account the current conversational context and the mental health journey of users.
- Help build machine learning models that enable Woebot to more naturally converse with, and understand users through a variety of NLP, machine learning and deep learning approaches.
- Model conversations and develop metrics and insights to help us understand shortcomings and opportunities for improvement.
- Investigate the mediating effect of tunable conversational features such as tone, verbosity, humour and empathy in conversation performance
We consider personalization to be key for developing a relationship over time, and delivering adaptive interventions to ensure Woebot thoughtfully delivers the right content, at the right time for every user.
- Improve user profile metadata, both collected and inferred, to improve conversation capabilities and conversation parameterization.
- Design & analyze experiments determining the most efficacious approaches in personalized content delivery for users within and across sessions
- Collaborate with Product & Design teams to deliver datasets, models and heuristics to power personalization of existing and new features
Through our consumer application and ongoing clinical studies, we are generating important datasets that allow us to investigate some of the most pressing questions in digital mental health around engagement, dose and treatment outcomes.
- Perform exploratory analyses to generate actionable insights across our large scale datasets in both controlled studies, consumer usage datasets and a/b experiments.
- Deepen the quality and depth of research conducted across Woebot by using data to help shape and guide our study pipeline and quantitative methodologies.
- Ph.D. in quantitative field with extensive data analysis alongside 2-3 years in industry role and/or ML/AI experience OR 5-8+ years in relevant role
- A strong background in one or more of the following areas: statistics, machine learning, natural language processing, large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence
- Proficient in Python/R and SQL
- Demonstrated ability to conduct reproducible analyses and develop written materials and data visualizations that deliver actionable insights
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Knowledge of one or more modern ML/NLP frameworks, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, or Keras
- Experience in deep learning architectures (e.g., RNNs, CNNs, Transformers), and applications (e.g., Named Entity Recognition, Question Answering)
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies and the full model lifecycle, typically ranging from data pipelines, data extraction, model training, model serving, labeling tools, ML-ops, ad-hoc tooling and all points in between.
- Previous experience working to develop Conversational AI & NLP models and/or delivering personalization solutions in mobile applications.
- Proficiency in data visualization tools like Looker or Tableau
Our Core Values:
- Empathic: You’re a compassionate person and a team player motivated to understand others and help them be successful, too. You care as deeply for your colleagues as you do for our mission and our users.
- Self-aware: You possess a high level of emotional intelligence, which allows you to understand yourself and others, and to have a healthy emotional life in the workplace.
- Proactive & flexible:You are able to hit the ground running, you take responsibility for finding a way to get the job done. You learn as quickly as possible and sometimes do things outside the immediate scope of your work, giving it all you’ve got.
- Strong work-ethic: You’ve mastered healthy habits in your life that allow you to do great things. You exemplify dedication and commitment to coming up with very good results in your work and inspire others to do the same.
- Growth mindset: You believe abilities – like intelligence and talent – can be developed through dedication and hard work. You see failure as an opportunity to grow and welcome feedback as a pathway to your continued success.
- Humble: You recognize that you are one among many, and you hold a genuine desire to discover what other people can offer. You are intrigued by how others think, and how others feel differently from you. You lean into these moments with patience and curiosity.
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Health, Dental & Vision
Woebot is an equal opportunity employer and we deeply value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.