Wieden+Kennedy believes that each team member makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined in a job description. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the employee or the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each team member will offer their services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors and to pursue individual career growth.
Business Affairs is responsible for the contracting & legal side of making advertising, including managing talent, copyright and intellectual property issues. They deal with everything from celebrity contracts, music licensing, and analysis of legal risks involved in everything produced by WK. They also work directly with producers to manage the business details of production, including contracting and paying vendors.
The Business Affairs Resident will have the opportunity to learn from everyone and will spend most of their time learning from the Broadcast Traffic Coordinator.
Major Responsibilities/Primary Functions
- Coordinates with multiple departments inside the agency (Production, Media, Business Affairs and Brand Management) to gather information for accurate distribution of finished commercials to broadcast stations on media buy in advance of airdate
- Creates and delivers letters of instruction to each broadcast station/network in a timely manner, detailing all necessary traffic information (broadcast medium, client code, product code, estimate numbers, flight dates, programs, rotation percentages, ISCI codes, spot titles/lengths)
- Generates dub and ship orders, ensuring every station on media buy is shipped the correct commercial in advance of airdate
- Works closely with outside media-buying services to ensure every station is shipped the correct commercial and instructions for media buy
- Estimates and manages client dubbing and shipping budgets; works with Business Affairs Managers and Brand Management on estimate revisions and overages
- Collects, distributes and retains all documentation associated with all broadcast traffic jobs
- Reports all commercial usage for all broadcast mediums on a timely basis to the Talent Payment Manager
- Tracks extra dubs and charges to maintain accurate finishing specs for each client
- Maintains production element storage files
- Coordinates clearance of client commercials on all television networks, as required on media schedule, by compiling information (beginning with scripts, rough cuts and final commercials to ensure commercial is cleared by the first airdate) from Business Affairs Managers, Producers and Brand Management teams; obtains substantiation for claims in commercials as requested by networks to receive clearance
- Ensures masters to stations have closed captioning capabilities if necessary
- Creates/assigns ISCI codes for each different piece of creative content
- Communicates closely with client’s other advertising agencies to provide all broadcast traffic duties for these outside agencies (if W+K is media agency of record)
Qualifications, Distinguishing Characteristics and Special Requirements
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to handle large workload
- A proven track record of gaining trust and respect by consistently demonstrating sound critical-thinking skills and maintaining composure in stressful situations
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of employees
- Exceptional initiative, attention to detail and follow-through skills