The Creative Operations Manager (COM) helps the creativity of every department thrive. They are experts at bringing creative people together and making sure the right people are in the right place at the right time with the right input, to deliver the best work. They ensure that creativity leads by acting as an agnostic steward of the work, driving the most effective and efficient systems. The COM partners closely with Creative Directors and ensures smooth internal running-of-show. They also work closely alongside other COMs and the Director of Creative Operations to champion best practices and seek continued areas for innovation and operations impact.
Creative Operations Managers lead the internal communications and workflow of all creative projects. They drive timelines for optimum output, help oversee creative resource needs for a brand, and manage the workflow throughout the lifecycle of a project. COMs are also responsible for managing overarching project schedules and organizing and prioritizing creative workload, tasks and resourcing needs. They have full visibility of 360-campaigns from concept development through delivery and troubleshoot talent, tools and timing throughout.
Committed to inclusivity and anti-racism in everything we do, fostering an environment of belonging and collaboration for all.
- Experienced candidate who understands the different agency workflows and how work should be completed. Creative problem-solving ability and a sharp attention to detail.
- Thinks clearly under pressure, remaining flexible and managing challenging deadlines/stressful situations with confidence.
- Strong organizational skills and capabilities, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and keep accurate and detailed records for every project while developing solutions.
- Innate ability and understanding of what motivates team members.
- Works as a team player with a positive attitude.
- Proactively drive projects forward while communicating next steps to team members.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; able with the ability to communicate with employees of all levels.
Communicating throughout the projects lifespan
- Cultivates open communication across all agency disciplines including Creatives, Design Studio, Production, Account Services, Strategy and Media (both one-on-one and in the team-like environment).
- Ensures that creative work leads, by communicating and managing projects and project details from a neutral vantage point, allowing other team members to focus on clients, production or making the work.
- Leads conversations on how to adjust/refine/re-prioritize as creative development shifts, and as well as schedules internal and team creative reviews as needed.
- Creates and continuously revises the project schedule, detailing key deadlines for every phase of a project, from creative development and production to media ship dates.
- Owns internal project status report document and acts as a central point of communication for project status by hosting regular status meetings.
Creative casting/assignment resource management
- Makes sure projects are completed on time, by allocating talent, orchestrating teams, and leveraging the necessary tools and people to get shit done.
- Advises Creative Directors, and Creative Resource Managers to get the right team assigned for the creative development required.
- Acts as a key member in managing the resource management software tool for creative resourcing needs and deliverables.
Driving creative development workflow
- Leads the project kick off meeting, including distributing creative briefs and additional key information to the full team.
- Creates timelines on creative development projects. Sets timelines on projects both large and small and distributes timing expectations to the team.
- Manages concept presentation materials, revisions and internal approvals.
Advocating for consistency in brand/agency workflow
- Acts as a point of contact to ensure that agency workflow procedures are being followed in a manner conducive to the success of each specific project.
Detailed scoping of projects
- Assesses the scale and scope of an assignment, which will be critical to successfully casting the project.
- Partners with Account Directors and manages scoping and staffing of projects.
- Manages project information and resources in our project management software system.
Finally, the Creative Operations Manager should be seen as a positive force, always problem-solving and offering solutions. As the glue holding the creative process together, the COM should maintain a good attitude in the face of the many challenges their team members will encounter. They should know how to manage stress, conflict, and adversity in a positive, productive manner, as well as embrace the fun, crazy culture here at W+K.
Wieden+Kennedy believes that each team member makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined in a job description. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the employee or the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each team member will offer their services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors and to pursue individual career growth.