At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
The Game Design team is a versatile, vibrant, collaborative group dedicated to making playing Magic as fun as it can be. Our team touches cards from beginning to end, working with all design teams to ensure we’re making successful products, play formats, and experiences. This includes card design, mechanic design, format design, product exploration, and many other design tasks.
This role draws on your emotional intelligence, your knowledge of people, process, & design, and your enthusiastic thirst for building up versatile designers into an amazing team. You’ll be responsible for the growth and happiness of the individuals and the collective team. You’ll work alongside the rest of design leadership to help guide and grow the next generation of Magic designers.
Are you excited with directing the people, organization, and culture side of a game design studio without directing the game design?
This role is about understanding the intersection of emotion, human interaction, analysis, and design. This role is about seeing the way the team’s work, thought, and collaboration flows and guiding that dynamic to new heights. You’ll work daily with each designer on the team, and you should show steadfast dedication to their long-term growth and happiness. Alongside the studio’s incredible leadership team, you’ll effort to align the skills and mission of the team with that of Magic at large.
What You'll Do:
- Engaging and developing the best people – Weekly one-on-ones and regular daily contact with the team. Actively listening, monitoring, and improving the emotional and cultural landscape of the team. Giving regular, direct guidance and feedback to help each designer grow.
- Getting the best people – Ensure your hiring pipeline sources diverse, dedicated people and maintain a fair testing and interview process. Guide, train, and mentor new hires to ramp them up successfully into the role.
- Guiding and improving the workflow – Observe the dynamic and workflow of the team. Creatively improve, adjust, and implement process to ensure success, harmony, and a sustainable workload and vibrant culture.
- Looking to the future – Guiding the identity and mission of the team in collaboration with the rest of the Studio’s design leadership.
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience managing creative talent in the game development.
- Unrelenting drive for fostering and growing design talent.
- Flexible, adaptable, creative mentality with a constant thirst for knowledge.
- Self-motivated curiosity, active listening, and a diverse toolbox of leadership skills.
- Compassion, appreciation, and a deep understanding of people.
- Positive, energetic, and articulate communication to improve our shared vision.
- Familiarity with Magic and Game Design.
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.