At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are seeking an experienced, proactive Lead VFX Artist to guide and mentor VFX artists in creating fun and exciting VFX for MTG Arena, using your technical proficiency, superb aesthetic sensibilities, and leadership to help bring the world of Magic: The Gathering to life. You will help the team collaborate with other artists, animators, and UX designers to balance visual direction with game information.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and mentor a small team of VFX artists to deliver inspiring effects that bring the game of Magic alive.
- Coordinate with the Art Director, Game Designers, and art team to drive the creative vision.
- Work with designers and engineers to define, clarify, and visualize asset requirements for everything from individual features to entire game VFX style guides with an eye on satisfying the game and players' needs.
- Establish visual and performance benchmarks to ensure a remarkable user experience across multiple platforms.
- Guide the creation of original particle systems, game piece animations, shaders, models and ambient scene assets that combined together form outstanding VFX. Invent unforgettable experiences for players that dazzle even after hundreds of viewings.
- Work with the team to define game asset priorities, refine VFX pipelines, and champion tools and process improvements to enhance team effectiveness.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of VFX lead experience on a AAA or large mobile game, including managing and mentoring VFX artists.
- Advanced understanding of the core principals of art content creation, asset management, and asset pipelines.
- A portfolio of dazzling VFX creations, with examples demonstrating experience in Unity, 3D modeling in Maya, and shader creation and optimization.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Social intelligence, great interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams.
- Ability to handle ambiguity, including effectively leading a team despite that ambiguity.
- Self-motivated and proactive about both teaching and learning VFX processes.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.