At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you a veteran software designer with experience developing and supporting a live game service?
We implement game mechanics and game-flow features for Magic Arena, and we are seeking an experienced Lead Software Developer! This role will manage a team that collaborates frequently with game designers, front-end developers, and backend services to deliver a snappy and engaging digital experience with all the strategy of authentic Magic.
What You’ll Do:
- Directly lead, guide and supervise a team of software developers while chipping in to the entire project.
- Design and implement solutions in alignment with architectural designs and program needs.
- Empower the team to implement new game modes and formats.
- Consult on and technically vetting feature requests for Arena.
- Understand the arcane interactions of a tenured game system with an ever-growing number of unique game pieces, and deconstruct those pieces and interactions into a series of well-defined implementation tasks to craft a polished digital play experience.
- Implement game rules mechanics, build on our natural language parser to bring a card from its English text to generated code run in the game, and proactively shape the long-term technical direction of those systems.
- Work with a variety of other departments to build technical requirements for exciting new features.
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience in professional software development.
- 6 years of total job experience.
- Experience leading and mentoring effective teams.
- Strong coding, debugging and problem-solving skills and the ability to write readable, maintainable code.
- Strong communication and teamwork with diverse groups of people in various roles.
- Proficient with multiple programming languages, including one with manually managed memory, such as C/C++.
- A passion for digital card games and Magic: The Gathering.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.