Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks an industry leading VFX artist with a strong skillset and experience to join us on an exciting unannounced project! Candidates should have extensive knowledge working with Unreal's Niagara or Cascade, Houdini and the various other VFX tools to achieve the effects needed for both cinematics and gameplay. You will be key in defining the overall look and feel of the game’s visual effects through all-natural elements. This role requires a discerning eye for timing, color, across gameplay and cinematic sequences in order to deliver maximum visual impact throughout the game.
What You'll Do
- Build a wide range of visual effects across an Epic Sci-Fi universe.
- Deliver high fidelity art across prototype, iteration and final phases of development using simulation techniques and technologies relating to effects
- Facilitate and improve upon VFX pipelines in collaboration with engineering and technical art teams
- Inspire, mentor and encourage other VFX artists as a prominent senior or lead
What You Bring
- Five or more years focused experience in game development as a senior VFX artist or equivalent
- Content creation experience in a production environment using Houdini, Maya and other software; Python scripting is a plus
- Gaming experience is helpful, as well as an outstanding eye for film and narrative sequences
- The ability to contribute, interpret and clearly communicate visual direction within a team.
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers, with a collaborative approach to problem-solving and prototyping.
- A passion for deep, compelling science fiction stories and role-playing games.
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.