At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Join Our Team
Are you an experienced game design leader with a passion for co-op multiplayer experiences and an eagerness to take on new challenges?
We’re seeking a Design Director to join our growing internal studio to help us craft the next big gaming and entertainment IP. Reporting to the Studio Head of the Wizards NextGen Studio, you will play a critical role as we kick off Pre-Production on an exciting new gaming franchise. You'll work with the Creative Director and other discipline leaders to solidify the vision for the project. You will also build and manage a diverse team of designers to bring our shared vision to life.
What You'll Do:
- Spearhead the game design vision, collaborating with peers to cultivate awesomeness and business impact via an innovative, original gaming franchise.
- Drive end-to-end game design execution, from concepting to prototyping through finished product, setting priorities for the team and ensuring results align with broader product goals and schedule.
- Hire, manage, encourage, and nurture a complementary team of design professionals to be leaders in their craft and grow in their careers.
- Build positive relationships with internal teams and external partners by seeking shared success.
What You'll Bring:
- Excellent understanding of the building blocks of video game design.
- Insight into the gaming preferences of socially motivated gamers, coupled with a test-and-learn approach as you seek game design elements that contribute to player happiness.
- Ability to communicate game mechanics in a way that is inspiring, creative, and elegant.
- Rapid iteration of ideas: eager to seek out new perspectives, absorb feedback, pare it back to its core, and then fuel even better ideas.
- Empowering and inspiring leadership with a diplomatic and collaborative approach and seeking diverse perspectives.
- Care about being excellent at your craft, helping others to succeed, and setting a strong example for what it means for Wizards to be an industry leader.
- A deep rolodex of industry professionals and proven ability to hire a strong team to meet project goals.
- Able to effectively work in a hybrid in-office/work-from-home environment, including managing people and process through the associated challenges.
- Willing to travel to meet with development partners.
- Extensive game design experience in video games with multiple shipped titles and including team leadership: 7+ years required.
- Completed at least 1 full development cycle in a Game Design Director or comparable position
- Demonstrated passion for and experience with co-op multiplayer games, having built mechanics and systems that make the experience more fun to play together
- Experience managing and nurturing a full spectrum of game designers to executional excellence: 4+ years required.
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.