At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
How would you like to help build and grow Magic: The Gathering Arena? We’re looking for an inspirational and experienced Principal Art Director to join our leadership team to set the aesthetic direction of MTG Arena while growing and mentoring the art team. In this role, you’ll help bring the Magic to life for millions of players worldwide.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with MTG Arena design team to create and articulate an aesthetic vision for MTG Arena and its intersection with Magic: The Gathering as a whole, adapting as needed to deliver an excellent CCG experience to 30 years’ worth of Magic fans.
- Lead the team to deliver that vision in collaboration with our game design, engineering, and production team using 2D, 3D, and VFX assets on multiple platforms.
- As a leader, mentor, and role model, you'll grow and develop artists in their crafts to ensure the team can support its design goals while creating a strong culture of teamwork and a commitment to excellence.
- Work with production, engineering, and other internal teams to refine art pipelines to balance creative vision with the production realities of a live service game.
- Source and manage external vendors to help meet and exceed product goals and quality expectations.
What You’ll Bring:
- Proven experience crafting art in the video game industry with dedicated experience as a lead artist or art director.
- A leadership style that values collaboration and engagement with others
- The ability to build visual examples to articulate your vision and encourage others.
- Experience working with other artists to develop an outstanding and cohesive visual style.
- Previous involvement leading and collaborating with outsource vendors.
- Knowledge of partnering with IP teams to deliver the digital expressions of their core brand.
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant artistic skills: Only digital artwork submissions such as website, blog or online album will be accepted.
- Experience with multiple platforms, including PC and Mobile, with at least one title or product shipped on each platform.
- Experience using Unity, 3DSMax, ZBrush, Substance Painter, and Photoshop.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.