At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Join Our Team
Are you an experienced UX Research leader with a passion for horror games and an eagerness to tackle new challenges?
We are building a new game development team and studio led by industry veterans to build a multi-platform, Survival Horror video game set in an iconic Wizards universe! Our new studio will be located in Austin, TX, and our team is looking for a passionate and dedicated UX Research Director to join us and build and manage a diverse team of designers that will be tasked with helping concept, establish, and implement a cohesive and engaging player experience.
Reporting to the studio GM you will play a meaningful role as we concept and kick off pre-production. You'll guide the studio toward crafting customer-centric concepts that improve the game by researching and guiding player experience and usability improvements with the engineering and design teams.
What You’ll Do
- Manage UX research efforts and collaborate with various product owners and engineering leads.
- Lead all aspects of our studio’s player experience, gameplay and feature usability, and play-testing/feedback strategy.
- Continuously address issues related to usability and extensibility of gameplay systems or UI by critiquing design, both low and high fidelity.
- Lead efforts to identify and define player behaviors and personas to assist our team in developing better-informed and more engaging experiences.
- Pioneer and influence studio and company culture regarding UX, player research, and data informed decision-making.
- Pitch both business and design strategy recommendations using qualitative and quantitative reports.
- Work collaboratively with Wizards Marketing and Consumer Insights teams.
- Be an advocate and voice for the player.
What You’ll Bring
8+ years of experience in development and operations of AAA console/PC video games with several years as a Principal, Senior, or Lead UX Researcher with a specialization in analytics.
- Experience building sophisticated UX and play-testing research strategy that encompasses gameplay, UI, and accessibility performance.
- Specialization in data and analytics to generate reports and pitch optimizations or improvements that increase player adoption and engagement.
- Deep understanding and experience with user research methods, empathy with users, personas, user flows, and information architecture.
- Passion for emerging player, product, genre, and industry trends to identify potential design opportunities and enhance business performance.
- Expertise with data structures, statistical analysis, and reporting platforms.
- Prefers critical decisions to be informed by data and supported by research but can balance it with understanding of good design intuition & creativity.
- Incredible problem-solving skills, and ability to empower others to find solutions in new situations or fluid and dynamic environments.
- Passion for building cross functional teams, leading with empathy, and encouraging an inclusive and diverse team culture.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.