At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are building a new game development team and studio led by industry veterans to create a multi-platform, Survival Horror video game set in an iconic Wizards universe! Our new studio will be located in Austin, TX, and our team is looking for a passionate and dedicated Technical Director to join us and drive the game technology and technical direction for this project.
In this role, you will lead the Engineering team and function, and partner with project leaders of all disciplines to deliver game systems that create a world-class player experience. We’re looking for someone who believes game quality and performance are critical to success. In your pursuit of building high-quality and adaptable technical designs, you will also lead a team to do the same in building game software and balancing risk to help ensure a successful launch of the game. The TD is a key contributor to the growth of this project and will report to the CTO.
What You'll Do
- Lead game software development across the full development cycle of the project, from prototyping to launch
- Partner with creative leadership to define game requirements to deliver on the project creative vision
- Develop and mentor a world-class game engineering team - you lead be example by:
- writing clear and maintainable code
- promoting and implementing software development best practices and standards
- use KPIs and data to validate results and ensure team results are high quality
- fostering dynamic and collaborative attitudes
- Guide all technical designs for the game’s software architecture
- Anticipate technical problems and risks, mitigate, and communicate status across team leadership
- Partner with other leaders to review development plans, designs, processes, resource usage, time estimates, and project quality
What You'll Bring
- 8+ years of experience in a technical leadership role building AAA games with a focus on great gameplay and player experience on a large project
- Broad software-level knowledge of all domain areas for game development: gameplay, rendering, online, UX, etc.
- Authoritative C++, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Experience with C# and other programming languages
- Effective collaboration experience with creative teams to implement data-driven solutions for large scale games
- Deep appreciation for developer efficiency and benefits of KPIs
- Ability to foster a collaborative and dynamic team environment
- Strong time management, organizational, analytical and mathematical skills
- Excellent decision making and attention to detail skills
- B.S. in computer science or equivalent
- Experience with Unreal engine
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.