At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced, passionate Technical Director to join the leadership team of our New IP Studio to help us build a new, digital game-centered franchise. This role will be responsible for driving the game technology and technical direction for the project. They will build the game engineering team as the studio grows, identify technical needs and risks, and spearhead solutions.
With a broad technical background and proven experience as an engineering leader, the Technical Director is uniquely qualified to understand the big picture of the game, ensure the development team is supported with the tools and mentorship they need, and champion technologies and practices that will lead to an amazing player experience. The TD will be a key contributor to the growth, culture, and ultimate success of the studio!
What You'll Do
- Build and manage a team of engineers responsible for crafting all game technology to deliver on the project creative vision.
- Lead game software development across full development cycle of the project, from pre-production and prototyping to final.
- Partner with the team's creative leadership to craft and define game requirements.
- Guides all technical designs for game’s software architecture.
- Oversee all project dependencies, risks and critical paths; ensure contingency plan is in place; recommend solutions and approve plan and timelines; understand overall impact on all partners.
- Work with multiple teams to establish detailed and prioritized requirements.
- Ensure proper documentation exists and is kept up-to-date on all systems.
- Partner throughout the organization (and beyond) to review development plans, designs, processes, resource usage, time estimates, and project quality. Advocate on behalf of your product and earn a reputation for collaboration & results.
- Ensure strong, healthy team culture that values teamwork, respect and uncovering the best ideas.
What You'll Bring
- At least 8 years of development experience in the games industry and a minimum of 2 years of management.
- Multiple games shipped in a Director/Principal Engineer role, ideally on multiple platforms with cross play functionality.
- Experience building a technology team from scratch to meet the needs of an ambitious project.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relate complex technical concepts to business leaders, teammates and partners who might not have a strong technical background.
- Expert knowledge of interactive software production processes, timelines, tools and methodologies.
- Experience with the complexities of building and maintaining live products.
- Familiar with multiple 3D engines (Unity, Unreal, proprietary, etc), programming languages, and cloud technologies. Able to analyze project needs to recommend the right technical path to best achieve our goals.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and decision-making skills.
- Comfortable managing through influence and indirect authority.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster positive relationships.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.