At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated business development professional to join our growing business development team. The Director of Business Development will be the face of Wizards to the development community and work closely with Wizards digital licensing partners globally across Wizards IP portfolio to further our goal to be one of the biggest and most exciting publishers of digital Fantasy-based games in the world. This position reports to the VP Business Development and Strategy. The role will require strong communication across multiple teams and someone who is proactive, not afraid to get his/her hands dirty, and is comfortable navigating through an often-ambiguous environment. You will lead role in growing Wizard’s PC, Console and Mobile games business by sourcing and closing partnerships with top global game developers and will be a key strategic resource for our studios as we plan and build out digital game experiences for Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, Duel Masters and future Wizards IP.
What you'll do:
- Drive the Business- develop our digital portfolio and network of development partners and licensors to help us execute our development plans.
- Develop the portfolio – with the goal of being the pre-eminent publisher of fantasy-base games, research, identify, and initiate contact with leading developers in the games and apps eco-system – and then work to figure out a way to partner with those developers on Wizard’s properties
- Source, negotiate, close and maintain partnerships with developers and licensors ensuring appropriate business terms.
- Build links with game developers across the PC, console, mobile gaming space.
- Lead existing licensor relationships to assure continuous delivery on game experience and business goals.
- Generate and communicate a deep understanding of the digital gaming industry worldwide to assist in identifying business opportunities.
- Conduct high-level diligence on potential developer and licensing partners to evaluate their capacity for outstanding game development
- Build and analyze business models for games and apps across platforms
- Work with Legal regarding contract execution and rights issues
- Financial Planning - Assist with budgeting, financial planning & development and implementation of digital portfolio plans to hit revenue targets, grow the licensing business & incremental revenue potential.
What you'll bring:
- 12+ years mobile/video game of validated experience, with a proven record of executing game development and licensing deals
- Familiarity with video game production or software development and have ability to collaborate with product development and brand teams.
- Experience in complex multi-year/title terms with major developers and licensors
- Strong knowledge of mobile, gaming, apps, social media, digital eco-system, current trends, and key players
- Demonstrated success in building and leading successful developer and license partnership programs.
- Able to demonstrate excellent negotiation skills, deal interpretation and analysis, revenue/profit modeling and ultimate sound business judgment.
- Must be detail oriented with strong interpersonal and presentation skills; must possess a consistent record multi-tasking across projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable working with senior level staff both internally and across a wide range of partners spanning cultures, languages and backgrounds
- Comfortable with handling ambiguity and collaborating across functional teams and departments
- Must have a passion for gaming!
- BA/BS degree required, MBA preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.