At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you an accomplished storyteller who thrives when generating new ideas and pitching new stories and gameplay experiences?
Wizards is looking for an experienced Narrative Lead to join our Digital Publishing & Licensing team!
Reporting to the Creative Manager of Worldbuilding, we will work as a small strike team as we iterate on and define vision for multiple potential pitches and projects. We’ll explore treatments of existing Wizards brands like Dungeons & Dragons and MTG as well as completely new game concepts to entertain, immerse, and engage. You’ll then work with a diverse team of game developers to bring our shared vision to life, and work with partners as we seek to incubate and greenlight new games, worlds, and stories. Come help us craft the foundation of a variety of games and narratives, and build the future of Wizards!
What You'll Do
- Create, incubate, and brainstorm the narrative foundation for multiple new projects, collaborating with peers to cultivate rich experiences and business impact.
- Adapt management and communication styles to accommodate different perspectives and ideas, often across multiple cultures.
- Build worlds and create world guides. Supply scripts and specifications to support prototype development, character dialogue, in-game text, world definition, copywriting, copyediting, tutorials, and cinematics.
- Level up the team with your ideas, feedback, and broad knowledge of storytelling, pitching, narrative design, character creation, worldbuilding, tone, dialogue, and other storytelling tools.
- Build positive relationships with internal teams and external partners, seeking shared success.
- Lead and mentor a full spectrum of narrative designers and writers, across multiple experience levels.
What You'll Bring:
- Extensive writing and narrative design experience, ideally with significant experience generating and greenlighting original pitch ideas.
- Extensive experience building worlds, stories, characters, and story mechanics that players love and believe in.
- Team leadership experience that shows the ability to frame a vision, pitch to executives, and communicate ideas and expertise across teams and subject areas.
- Flexibility - comfortable adapting between different writing styles and tones and working independently or as part of the design team.
- Outstanding communication, diplomacy, and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of game genres, current game ecosystem, and mechanical/creative interactions with experience working within existing IP guidelines.
- Continual curiosity for your craft, and deep current connections with other writers to help grow our talent pool.
- Willingness to travel in a safe, post-vaccine world.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.