At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are seeking a Play Architect to oversee the full range of play programs that Magic offers – ranging from high-level retention-focused competitions to acquisition-focused new suites of social and casual play. You’ll work with a large team of product designers, game designers, and our play, sales, and marketing groups to ensure these programs are executed fantastically and hitting the right goals and metrics for growth and retention. The ideal candidate has a great knowledge and experience of different play communities (both in the TCG space and outside of it). Also an understanding that we can do much more to draw large groups of new people into Magic play communities that will offer them joy and belonging.
What you'll do:
- Ensure the portfolio of play programs are on track for their individual goals and key metrics, as you work with a mix of product and game designers as they design their play programs.
- Ensure we’re working with digital and partner teams to integrate digital and third party programs in the overall play experiences.
- Work with business and product teams to plug our play programs in to our key business initiatives.
- Ensure that we are measuring and monitoring player satisfaction with programs and using analysis to drive future iterations.
- Create target segments of new player acquisition for play, and work with studio and marketing to implement programs targeting those segments.
What you'll bring:
- Significant experience in play communities design, with experience in product, game, or user design an added bonus.
- Great knowledge of how products and play experiences can create positive engagement loops for each other.
- Significant experience with organized play for Magic or other tabletop or digital games.
- An audience/player insights-centric approach to driving design targets and goals.
- Highly collaborative with a wide range of disciplines – game and product design, quantitative analysts, event organizers, marketing and sales, and business development.
- Excellent communicator, comfortable with both spoken and written program communications and project development.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, balancing competing priorities among multiple stakeholders
- A consistent track record of innovation, flexibility, and critical thinking.
In the Wizards TCG Studio (Studio X), we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.