Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We’re looking for an exceptionally skilled Lead Character Artist to help us build an exciting unannounced project. Join us and apply your extensive experience with a wide range of 3D modeling and sculpting tools to create iconic 3D characters and memorable creatures! You will be a key driver of the games vision and help define the overall look and feel of a wide variety of characters, weapons, and other gameplay elements. This role builds on a strong sense of design in conjunction with the ability to execute the highest-quality art.
What You'll Do:
- Build a diverse set of compelling 3D characters and related models and textures to define the quality bar for our project.
- Foster a collaborative relationship with Art leadership and concept teams to build a distinct and cohesive modeling and texturing style for a rich cast of 3D characters, creatures and props.
- Collaborate and partner with the Creative Director, Art Director and visual leads to explore, define and evangelize an inspiring artistic vision.
- Assist and guide Technical Artists and Engineers in the planning and implementation of character art pipelines and tools.
- Collaborate with the concept and design teams in planning asset production.
What You'll Bring:
- Proven experience leading teams in the development and release of successful AAA games as a Character Art Lead.
- The internal motivation, interpersonal skills, and team-based approach that successfully elevates the game and team throughout development.
- An unparalleled proficiency in your craft, with expertise in both organic and hard surface 3D modeling and an outstanding track record for delivering of character anatomy and form.
- Able to develop, interpret, and clearly communicate artistic direction and feedback to guide and mentor a highly skilled team.
- Deep understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines, processes and tools.
- Exceptional understanding and application of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling with an excellent eye for light, shade, color, and detail.
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers.
- Strong problem-solving and prototyping ability.
- A passion for deep, compelling science fiction stories and role playing games.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.