At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
The Magic TCG Studio is hiring a packaging-savvy Graphic Design Manager with a passion for leading teams, an eye for innovative graphic design, and a deep connection to both awesome retail/product expressions AND fantasy entertainment. Our outstanding artwork, intriguing characters, engaging worlds, and tales of fantastical adventure are waiting for you!
The Graphic Design Manager will support the team that develops Magic: The Gathering's packaging “look and feel”. This is a tactical, hands-on leadership role in which you will ensure the style and quality of all assets conform to the vision and requirements as defined by brand standards, the Creative Directors, and our production processes.
Under the direction of the Creative Manager: Packaging & Product, this role requires well-developed skills in people-centric leadership to mentor and support a team of Graphic Designers. This role will collaborate with Studio peers to produce packaging and graphic design materials to support Magic product, meet the goals of the brand, and improve the Wizards gaming experience for a global market. The ideal candidate will have a proven collaborative nature and strong execution of design best practices from planning through file delivery.
What you'll do:
The candidate will manage the individual performance of the Packaging and Product Design team's Graphic Designers as they pitch, execute, and deliver creative solutions for Magic TCG — everything from packaging mock-ups to final print-ready files — while sticking to design industry standards and MTG Brand guidelines. In this role, you will:
- Supervise Graphic Designers through the entire design process, including technical decisions.
- Recruit, engage, and develop the best people by giving direct guidance and feedback.
- Develop creative strategies, improve creative workflow processes, and maintain design style guides.
- Mentor the teams as they design logos, packaging, presentations and / or other documentation to develop and present creative concepts.
- Drive teams to build design that is on-strategy, on-time, on-budget, and within scope.
- Hold regular 1:1 check-ins and provide opportunities for professional development and growth.
What you'll bring:
- 6+ years of relevant graphic design leadership experience, or 2+ years of graphic design management within an agency or in-house creative group setting.
- Must be able to provide a digital portfolio (website or pdf) showcasing creative work across a variety of creative disciplines.
- Proven experience designing or producing visual content for marketing, packaging, promotions, social media, or advertising campaigns.
- High-level packaging, print, and digital production process knowledge.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Experience commissioning illustration a plus.
- Presenting and rationalizing work to company partners.
- Maintain attention to detail while driving multiple projects under continual and varying deadline constraints.
- Current understanding of emerging marketing technologies and entertainment industry trends.
- Microsoft Outlook, Teams, and Adobe Acrobat familiarity a plus.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous and constantly evolving creative environment.
- Being a fan of gaming, sci-fi, or fantasy fandom a plus.
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.