At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
The Magic TCG Studio is hiring a packaging-savvy Art Director with an eye for innovative design, a passion for visual storytelling, and a deep connection to both awesome retail/product expressions AND fantasy entertainment. Our outstanding artwork, intriguing characters, engaging worlds, and tales of fantastical adventure are waiting for you!
The Art Director will build Magic’s packaging “look and feel” using all the skills of the modern creative – identity, structural, graphic design, illustration, and typography. This is a tactical, hands-on art direction role in which you will ensure the style and quality of all assets conform to the vision and requirements as defined by brand standards, the Creative Directors and our production processes.
This role will collaborate with Magic creative teams on the development of packaging throughout the entire process — from creative conception through production — developing outstanding concepts and building original designs to support, market, and improve Magic product.
What You'll Do
Using primarily Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator you will concept, pitch, execute, and deliver creative solutions for Magic TCG packaging and product — everything from packaging mock-ups to final print-ready files —while sticking to design industry standards. In this role, you will:
- Concept multiple visual solutions based on product strategy and creative direction provided while constantly innovating on the brand.
- Direct, lead, and mentor Graphic Designers through all packaging development.
- Communicate and execute feedback to Studio Managers, Product Graphic Designers, and Creative Directors.
- Stay up-to-date on current design trends and pursue creative development by collaborating with management and peers to develop skills.
- Brainstorm and collaborate as a team, not as an individual.
What You'll Bring
- 4+ yrs experience in a Graphic Design, Art Direction, or related role experience within an agency setting.
- Portfolio demonstrating high-quality art direction work for marketing, packaging, promotions, social media, or ad campaigns.
- Passion for packaging, structural, and print processes.
- Specialization in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator software, with experience crafting clean, print-ready files.
- Experience commissioning illustration for marketing purposes.
- Presenting and rationalizing work to company partners.
- Microsoft Outlook, Teams, and Adobe Acrobat familiarity a plus.
- Familiarity with the materials and manufacturing processes related to consumer packaging.
- Can use brand strategy to produce strong, conceptual, creative solutions.
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous and constantly evolving creative environment.
- Being a fan of gaming, sci-fi, or fantasy fandom a plus, but not required.
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.