At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
The Senior Game Designer for Arena provides design guidance for new Magic digital products and detailed feature design for features within those products. If you are a game designer who loves Magic wants to help create awesome new products and experiences that enrich the Magic experience while working with fantastic people at Wizards of the Coast, then this is the job for you.
What you'll do:
- Own game features and systems end-to-end from the design side, concepting and building them with an eye towards engagement, retention and monetization
- Craft new features to hit product goals, including initial concepting, building out all the specs and documentation, and soliciting feedback from fellow designers and the implementing team to further refine
- Guide an interdisciplinary implementation team through development and iteration on the feature, including working with production to scope, prioritize, and schedule and working with programmers, artists, other designers, and QA to deliver on that plan
- Post-launch, evaluate the feature’s performance and develop plans to adjust problematic areas and improve on successes
- Mentor other designers and team members in the fundamentals of elegant design, feedback triage, and adaptive design
- Represent DGD as a specialist on gaming industry trends, technical aspects of game design, and Magic gaming consumer needs
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years of overall game design/development required
- 5+ years of passion and history involved with Magic or other TCGs as a player required
- proven experience with different game genres and platforms preferred (e.g. RPG, social, online subscription)
- At least 5+ years experience designing games with at least 2 successfully shipped titles
- Experience implementing designs in Unity or similar engine
- Live services support
- Experience in feature design, and be able to create fun gameplay that drives social engagement
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- In-depth knowledge of Magic’s digital offerings
- Able to function and lead in an Agile development environment
- Able to communicate effectively with engineering, art, UX, production and business personnel
- Desire to create the best-in-class game in this genre and a passion for Magic The Gathering
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.