At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Tabletop Magic: The Gathering is enjoyed by millions of players across the planet. We publish in 11 languages and are sold on every continent other than Antarctica (we’re still working on that one). As we grow globally, Japan presents a particularly exciting opportunity and its sophisticated TCG landscape calls for a unique product playbook.
The Senior Product Designer - Japan will craft and execute the vision of tabletop Magic for the Japanese market. You will expand our product offerings to better work for that audience, and bring takeaways back to our global portfolio. Your job is to make our products resonate more strongly with Japanese fans.
What are changes that would help our products fit more efficiently into the market? What are wild shots we could take to shake things up and make headlines? What would booster packs, fixed decks, collectables and direct-to-consumer Magic products look like if they were crafted from the ground up to work for our players in Japan? Help us answer these questions and ones we haven’t thought to ask yet.
This position is based in WA.
What You'll Do
- Connect Us: Be a liaison between Japan and the U.S. Provide insights on the Japanese marketplace and community.
- Understand the Landscape: Actively study the Japanese TCG market to discover opportunities.
- Own the Vision: Generate ideas and lead them through the entire process collaborating with teams such as our Japan office, Trade, Marketing, Organized Play, Creative, and Game Design.
- Set the Goals: Determine measures of success and track results.
- Influence Magic: Have opinions, build the things you care about, and advance new ways of thinking.
What You'll Bring
- A deep understanding in the Japanese TCG market and gaming culture.
- Above business level in Japanese language skill, and English fluency.
- 6 or more years of experience in product design, game design, marketing, or related fields.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- A proven track record of innovation, flexibility, and critical thinking
- Helpful but not required: Experience/Passion for playing Magic
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to crafting broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.