Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We are seeking a Gameplay Engineer to join the team for our first game project. The Gameplay Engineer will build and support game systems such as AI, combat, and locomotion in collaboration with Design and Engineering. This will include requirements gathering, initial implementation, iteration, and bug fixing.
We’re looking for someone who holds creating great player experiences above all else and can help us build a world class AAA game. This person will report to the project’s Lead Gameplay Programmer.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate closely with designers and gameplay engineers to build world-class game systems and workflows
- Write technical design documents
- Produce accurate time estimates for upcoming work
- Create high quality documentation for each of your features
- Adopt and promote best practices
- Provide thoughtful code review feedback
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in game development
- Proficiency in C++
- Previous experience developing combat or other game systems for AAA game
- Extra Credit:
- Unreal Engine 4 experience a big plus
- Experience with shaders and VFX
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.