Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Archetype Entertainment seeks an industry leading VFX artist with a strong skillset and experience to join an unannounced project. Candidates should have extensive knowledge working with Houdini, UE and various other VFX tools to achieve the effects needed for both cinematics and gameplay. You will be key in defining the overall look and feel of the game’s visual effects through all-natural elements. This role requires an exceptionally tasteful eye as well as the ability to execute the highest-quality art.
What You'll Do
- Create a wide range of VFX including oceans, splashes, dirt charges, electricity, fire, sparks, weather, destruction and much more
- Integrate created elements into cinematics and gameplay
- Work with the art team and design to effectively establish the vision
- Facilitate and improve upon VFX pipelines in conjunction with engineering, art and design teams
- Rally and mentor other VFX artist as a prominent senior
What You Bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in game development as a senior VFX artist
- Strong skillsets utilizing Houdini, Maya and other VFX particle / Pflow tools
- Exceptionally good taste for all visual effects elements
- Thorough understanding of simulation techniques and technologies relating to effects
- Python scripting is a plus
- Introduce and streamline next generation VFX assets workflows into the pipeline
- Gaming experience is preferred with a superior eye for film
- Must be able to perform under tight deadlines and deliver high fidelity art
- Proven problem-solving and prototyping ability
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A passion for story-driven roleplaying games
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.