For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
The Magic: The Gathering Arena team is looking for an experienced engineer to help manage and lead a team of engineers who build and maintain scalable cloud services that will support vast legions of players. In close collaboration with designers, artists, and other engineers, you'll be one of the main drivers of designs and decisions within the team.
A DAY IN THE LIFE AS A LEAD SERVER SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- Directly manages and supervises a team of software developers
- Designs and implements solutions for Magic: The Gathering Arena in alignment with architectural designs and program needs.
- Provide consultation on complex projects as a top level contributor/specialist.
- Communicate and iterate on technical designs and decisions with the team.
- Must be able to work across the entire project while providing guidance to your reports
- Grasps issues quickly and makes educated, critical judgments in the absence of complete information
- Understands the technical challenges that arise from developing online games on multiple platforms
- Must be able to work with a variety of other departments to create technical requirements
- Communicates well and does not hesitate to initiate dialog with the relevant stakeholders
- Must be able to plan and develop technical roadmaps, technical documentation and help determine priorities
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
- 10+ years software design experience
- 5-8 years of experience developing online, scalable, high performance applications and components
- 5-8 years of experience creating and shipping games
- 3+ years of experience managing software development teams
- Strong coding, debugging and problem solving
- Strong communication and collaboration
- Experience developing and supporting a live game service
Knowledge, Abilities and Characteristics of the Ideal Wizard:
- Experience building software solutions using AWS Technologies
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL data storage technologies
- Experience with scalable distributed systems
- Experience with process level concurrency
- Working knowledge of containers and orchestration
- Sound knowledge of software engineering, software engineering methodologies, and the impact of early decisions on later development stages of software projects
- Experienced and skilled at leading and coaching talented software developers
- Ability to conduct effective requirements gathering and analysis
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people in various roles
- Willingness to help troubleshoot and resolve technical problems as they arise
- Unity development and mobile development are a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.