Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
The newly-created People Operations/HR Specialist will report to our Internal Operations lead to build the next phase of our people operations practices and strategy at Otter. This role will provide a balance of technical and operational expertise with deep focus on execution and building for scale. As a rapidly growing startup obsessed with user experience (both internal and external), this position will play a key role in helping to build the People infrastructure necessary to make Otter a great place to work.
What you'll do
- Work cross-functionally to ensure all of our employees are set up for success.
- Support all people operations programs, including policy research, drafting, and revision; end-to-end HR processes, systems, administration, and communications to achieve efficiency, productivity, improved governance, controls, and happiness!
- Spend your first 60 days rolling out new benefits packages, assisting with in-market housing, and compliance related items.
- Deliver best-in-class support to our employees in every stage of their journey at Otter, from pre-onboarding to off-boarding.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state reporting, and regular audits.
- Work with teams across the business on initiatives to reinvent how People, Recruiting, Finance, IT, and Legal processes support each other in anticipating and responding to business needs.
- “Speak with data” and help build our People analytics capabilities, including monitoring and report on all key HR metrics, managing the design, implementation, and tracking of all People team KPIs, and finding opportunities for us to improve on the employee experience at Otter.
- Help the company develop and enhance its org structure, design, and performance management processes as we grow rapidly.
- Help build the People Ops team!
How you approach your work
- You have 3+ years of relevant HR Information Systems (HRIS) and/or People Operations experience, including a strong emphasis on Human Capital Management (HCM) administration and operations at a start-up or in an early team at a larger company that has scaled quickly.
- You love solving problems and using analysis to build solutions and guide decision-making. You can move fluidly between long-term strategic decisions and immediate tasks, balancing business needs, employee needs, and compliance.
- You are biased to action especially when it comes to continuous improvement through project/program management.
- You understand what you need to of the legal environment (and know when to bring in legal support) and derive joy from making sure that we adhere with all applicable employment laws, particularly things like HR policies and immigration.
- You have supported or led cross-functional teams working on systems implementations, headcount and position management, onboarding and offboarding, and user training.
Who you are
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from one another, so we can learn faster together.
- You have attention to detail and thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.