*This role is the night owl shift: 12pm - 9pm, Monday - Friday.
At Wistia, we do video hosting for business, and we work hard to find easy, delightful solutions to complicated problems. The Customer Happiness Team embodies this work by tackling the issues our customers encounter with elegance and grace. We build fun relationships with our customers, who are marketing, sales, support, video production, and HR teams in companies of all shapes and sizes. For us, success is helping customers be even more amazing at their jobs than they were before they talked to us.
As a Wistia Customer Champion, you’ll be one of the stars of our support inbox - guiding customers as they navigate the new and uncertain territory of our product. You’ll learn to translate technobabble into real world human speak. Even though there’s plenty of challenging and occasionally tedious work to go around, you’ll always value taking time for creativity, curiosity, and patience over rigidity and the status quo. You’ll be part of the First Response Team, one of the three support teams on Customer Happiness; collaborating closely to hone collective troubleshooting and delighting skills, and helping make our products, our documentation, and our team the best they can be. Saddle up!
Your typical day includes:
- Answering our customers’ questions with timeliness and good cheer; using email, phone and video to show them the path to Wistia glory.
- Coaching new users through the fundamentals of using their Wistia accounts and our product.
- Fielding questions from more experienced Wistia customers of all walks of life, and helping to fix their video-hosting problems, big and small.
- Diving deeper into tougher technical issues - learning solo by trying, testing and tripping up, and in collaboration with more seasoned team-mates.
- Checking in regularly with fellow Champs to make sure our inbox stays ticking over and our team wheels keep on turning.
This job might be for you if:
- You love trying out different approaches for solving the problems you encounter in everyday life, especially by Googling with reckless abandon.
- Friends come to you first since you’re such a patient and empathetic listener.
- You proofread your emails for clarity and accuracy three times before you send them out, just in case.
- You love to collaborate but are great at flying solo, managing your own time.
- You ask questions. A lot!
- You’ve got some prior experience talking to customers of any kind.
- You love to learn, especially things like how to mess with websites by looking at the source codes.
Upon coming on board, you can expect to:
First three months:
- Gain fluency in what Wistia does and how it works: the essentials of video-hosting, embedding, encoding, and delivery; where things can go awry; and how we can try to set them right.
- Learn about the main use cases our customers have, and how they use different aspects of our product to achieve video and business goals.
- Continually sharpen your writing skills to create succinct and fun answers to customer questions.
- Become a virtuoso in deductive troubleshooting.
- Get a bunch of things wrong; frustrate an already frustrated customer and keep on helping them anyway; be overwhelmed by a firehose of strange new terms, memes, acronyms, internet-speak, business buzzwords, and marketing jargon (aka margon).
- Be showered with praise by customers dazzled by your brilliant delightfulness.
- Did we mention asking questions? You’ll be doing that.
Three to twelve months:
- Become a top contributor to our inbox and support work, both in quantity and quality.
- Work on developing specialized knowledge in aspects of support and the Wistia product that interest you the most, and share that knowledge with team-mates.
- Try your hand at proactive and project-based tasks alongside your inbox work to improve the customer experience - like identifying bugs, summarizing product issues, and creating help articles.
- Combine empathy and data to champion the customer across the Customer Happiness, Marketing, Product, and Engineering teams.
- Independently pioneer creative solutions and act quickly to implement them.
- Keep asking those questions!
Your success will be measured by:
- The quality of support you give customers, based on customer feedback and internal review.
- The quantity of your customer interactions and contribution to team productivity goals.
- Your advocacy for improvements to the Wistia product and customer experience.
- Your contribution to our team’s success and well being: embracing responsibility; improving processes; asking questions; learning and teaching others; doing fun work.
The type of business we’re building:
We work hard to ensure Wistia is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome - learn more about the type of company we’re building on our blog: https://wistia.com/blog/build-the-company. Read more about our unique culture and the benefits of working at Wistia on our Jobs page: http://wistia.com/jobs. We also care about deeply about upholding and staying true to our company values - read more about them on our blog: http://wistia.com/blog/company-values.
We want you to grow, contribute and have fun here! We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- A competitive salary and stock options package
- 401k with 3% company contribution, regardless of whether you make contributions
- Fully paid healthcare coverage for you and your family (including dental) and a healthcare FSA
- Up to 12 weeks paid family leave
- Untracked vacation and sick leave (most employees take about four weeks of vacation)
- Transportation subsidies
- Financial support for continuing education, professional development and sponsorship for conferences
- A convenient office just south of Central Square in Cambridge, MA. We're right on the Red Line, surrounded by great restaurants, parks, and even a dog park.
- Plenty of office snacks and beverages, and a weekly catered team lunch
- Annual winter ski trip (with plenty of non-skiing activities)
- Annual summer pond festival (lounging, water skiing, volleyball, etc.)
If this sounds exciting to you, we hope you'll get in touch so we can continue to build a great company and product together!